Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! Lost 10mph top speed. 2012 wakesetter 23lsv

I have a 2012 Wakesetter 23Lsv, Boat has high altitude prop, 410hp, 6L engine.   Used to get 38mph top speed with the high altitude prop.   Noticed last week top speed is reduced to 30mph WOT running 5500 rpms.   Replaced spark plugs, no change in top speed.   New batteries 2021 not that that should make a difference.  Prop is clean, hull is clean, no bottom growth.   Engine sounds great, no vibrations, no fluctuations in rpm.   Any ideas?   

Edited by Shafer8520
Added details

Are you sure that the prop or coupler has not broken a key and the shaft is spinning some?  If your at wot, with a lower speed something is slipping or cavitating.  Or the hull is covered with growth.

Edited by oldjeep

No growth on the hull, fresh water lake, launched a month ago.  Cleaned air filter tonight, will try that tomorrow.   If that doesn't work may have to pull the prop.   Boat gets up to 30 no problem, just does not go any faster when putting the throttle down.  

Could the fuel injector be clogged?    I would not think I would get constant 5500 rpm if it was a fuel issue.   

If the engine is going 5500 rpm then it has nothing to do with the engine.  Something after the engine isn't doing its job, or the hull has become harder to push.  

Another possibility could be drag from a wedge that is part way down or ballast/weight in the boat that is changing how it planes.

Agree on the engine at this point oldjeep.  Wedge is up, no ballast in the boat.   Came out of winter storage, ran fine first couple days out, then this.  Havent filled ballast yet this year.  Worst fear is something in the v drive is wrong.  

Yes, used a GPS speed tracker.   Can definitely tell no boat acceleration past 4000 rpms.   Thanks for the suggestions.   Will check the ballast tanks.  

I'm going to swap out the high altitude prop.  Bought the boat in Montana, use it in Minnesota.   Any recommendations?    Acme 2277?   

15 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Are you sure that the prop or coupler has not broken a key and the shaft is spinning some?

14 hours ago, Shafer8520 said:

Boat gets up to 30 no problem, just does not go any faster when putting the throttle down. 

At what RPM does the boat get to 30 MPH?  If you add a bunch of RPM and get zero MPH change, re-read what Oldjeep said.

Found the problem.    Oldjeep was on to something.   Wedge shows its up, looked up.   Noticed about an inch of play, tied it up, problem solved for now.   Will need to figure out how to adjust it so it stays fully up.   

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Shafer8520 said:

Found the problem.    Oldjeep was on to something.   Wedge shows its up, looked up.   Noticed about an inch of play, tied it up, problem solved for now.   Will need to figure out how to adjust it so it stays fully up.   

My 2012 VLX wedge used to drop slightly over time but never enough to cause loss like this. How far was it down?

38 minutes ago, Shafer8520 said:

Mine does that over time.  I just remember to push the wedge up button after we start going each day.

29 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

My 2012 VLX wedge used to drop slightly over time but never enough to cause loss like this. How far was it down?

About an inch, inch and a half.   Pushed the up button but actuators won't bring it up any more.  

The wedge being only 1-2 inches out of full retraction shouldn’t be dragging in the water at all but idle speed. On plane, the wedge and most of the transom was/is completely out of the water on my 2010 and 2019. To tighten it up, loosen the bolts on top of the wedge bracket, raise the wedge into full up by hand amd block it. Then tighten the bolts back down. I think I ended up with maybe 1/4” of slop when it was done. 

41 minutes ago, wdr said:

The wedge being only 1-2 inches out of full retraction shouldn’t be dragging in the water at all but idle speed. On plane, the wedge and most of the transom was/is completely out of the water on my 2010 and 2019. To tighten it up, loosen the bolts on top of the wedge bracket, raise the wedge into full up by hand amd block it. Then tighten the bolts back down. I think I ended up with maybe 1/4” of slop when it was done. 

Thank you!   I will give that a try next time I pull if out of the water.  

If you still have some slop in the wedge after adjusting it you can try to take some movement out of it by disconnecting the rams from the wedge and screw the rams out a couple turns to lengthen them which basically retracts them up some more. You may have an odd number of turns one over the other to achieve the same tension on both. Mine were different by a full turn.

5 minutes ago, wdr said:

If you still have some slop in the wedge after adjusting it you can try to take some movement out of it by disconnecting the rams from the wedge and screw the rams out a couple turns to lengthen them which basically retracts them up some more. You may have an odd number of turns one over the other to achieve the same tension on both. Mine were different by a full turn.

great suggestion, thank you!   I get the dreaded "Wedge Fault, wait 10sec", error code every time I use the power wedge.  Fuse never blows.