Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! Lost 10mph top speed. 2012 wakesetter 23lsv


Recommended Posts

Shafer8520

I have a 2012 Wakesetter 23Lsv, Boat has high altitude prop, 410hp, 6L engine.   Used to get 38mph top speed with the high altitude prop.   Noticed last week top speed is reduced to 30mph WOT running 5500 rpms.   Replaced spark plugs, no change in top speed.   New batteries 2021 not that that should make a difference.  Prop is clean, hull is clean, no bottom growth.   Engine sounds great, no vibrations, no fluctuations in rpm.   Any ideas?   

 

  

Edited by Shafer8520
Added details
Link to post

Are you sure that the prop or coupler has not broken a key and the shaft is spinning some?  If your at wot, with a lower speed something is slipping or cavitating.  Or the hull is covered with growth.

Edited by oldjeep
Link to post
Shafer8520

No growth on the hull, fresh water lake, launched a month ago.  Cleaned air filter tonight, will try that tomorrow.   If that doesn't work may have to pull the prop.   Boat gets up to 30 no problem, just does not go any faster when putting the throttle down.  

Could the fuel injector be clogged?    I would not think I would get constant 5500 rpm if it was a fuel issue.   

Link to post

If the engine is going 5500 rpm then it has nothing to do with the engine.  Something after the engine isn't doing its job, or the hull has become harder to push.  

Another possibility could be drag from a wedge that is part way down or ballast/weight in the boat that is changing how it planes.

Link to post
Shafer8520

Agree on the engine at this point oldjeep.  Wedge is up, no ballast in the boat.   Came out of winter storage, ran fine first couple days out, then this.  Havent filled ballast yet this year.  Worst fear is something in the v drive is wrong.  

Link to post
Shafer8520

Yes, used a GPS speed tracker.   Can definitely tell no boat acceleration past 4000 rpms.   Thanks for the suggestions.   Will check the ballast tanks.  

 

I'm going to swap out the high altitude prop.  Bought the boat in Montana, use it in Minnesota.   Any recommendations?    Acme 2277?   

Link to post
15 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Are you sure that the prop or coupler has not broken a key and the shaft is spinning some?

 

14 hours ago, Shafer8520 said:

Boat gets up to 30 no problem, just does not go any faster when putting the throttle down. 

At what RPM does the boat get to 30 MPH?  If you add a bunch of RPM and get zero MPH change, re-read what Oldjeep said.

Link to post

First post in this thread says 30 mph @5500rpm. Last post says 4500rpm at 30 mph. Big difference. No increase in mph with 1krpm change of eng speed?

Link to post
Shafer8520

Found the problem.    Oldjeep was on to something.   Wedge shows its up, looked up.   Noticed about an inch of play, tied it up, problem solved for now.   Will need to figure out how to adjust it so it stays fully up.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
12 minutes ago, Shafer8520 said:

Found the problem.    Oldjeep was on to something.   Wedge shows its up, looked up.   Noticed about an inch of play, tied it up, problem solved for now.   Will need to figure out how to adjust it so it stays fully up.   

My 2012 VLX wedge used to drop slightly over time but never enough to cause loss like this. How far was it down?

Link to post
38 minutes ago, Shafer8520 said:

Found the problem.    Oldjeep was on to something.   Wedge shows its up, looked up.   Noticed about an inch of play, tied it up, problem solved for now.   Will need to figure out how to adjust it so it stays fully up.   

Mine does that over time.  I just remember to push the wedge up button after we start going each day.

Link to post
Shafer8520
29 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

My 2012 VLX wedge used to drop slightly over time but never enough to cause loss like this. How far was it down?

About an inch, inch and a half.   Pushed the up button but actuators won't bring it up any more.  

Link to post

The wedge being only 1-2 inches out of full retraction shouldn’t be dragging in the water at all but idle speed. On plane, the wedge and most of the transom was/is completely out of the water on my 2010 and 2019. To tighten it up, loosen the bolts on top of the wedge bracket, raise the wedge into full up by hand amd block it. Then tighten the bolts back down. I think I ended up with maybe 1/4” of slop when it was done. 

Link to post
Shafer8520
41 minutes ago, wdr said:

The wedge being only 1-2 inches out of full retraction shouldn’t be dragging in the water at all but idle speed. On plane, the wedge and most of the transom was/is completely out of the water on my 2010 and 2019. To tighten it up, loosen the bolts on top of the wedge bracket, raise the wedge into full up by hand amd block it. Then tighten the bolts back down. I think I ended up with maybe 1/4” of slop when it was done. 

Thank you!   I will give that a try next time I pull if out of the water.  

Link to post

If you still have some slop in the wedge after adjusting it you can try to take some movement out of it by disconnecting the rams from the wedge and screw the rams out a couple turns to lengthen them which basically retracts them up some more. You may have an odd number of turns one over the other to achieve the same tension on both. Mine were different by a full turn.

Link to post
Shafer8520
5 minutes ago, wdr said:

If you still have some slop in the wedge after adjusting it you can try to take some movement out of it by disconnecting the rams from the wedge and screw the rams out a couple turns to lengthen them which basically retracts them up some more. You may have an odd number of turns one over the other to achieve the same tension on both. Mine were different by a full turn.

great suggestion, thank you!   I get the dreaded "Wedge Fault, wait 10sec", error code every time I use the power wedge.  Fuse never blows.    

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...