Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Malibu View night blindness

zhuskers1

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, calilsv said:

If it's the first thing, why not mention it in the first post.  Wouldn't it have been easier than arguing about it not being a big deal.  :Frustrated:

The first post said completely dimmed - I took that as they already adjusted it... but I guess who knows at this point. 

Sorry, but it just seems like the whole post is about having a dimming option to turn night mode all the way down.  I read it multiple times, yet not a single mention from anyone about that exact option in the settings.   

24 minutes ago, calilsv said:

Sorry, but it just seems like the whole post is about having a dimming option to turn night mode all the way down.  I read it multiple times, yet not a single mention from anyone about that exact option in the settings.   

It's on the main screen in the lower left.. looks like a moon and says night under it. 

2 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

It's on the main screen in the lower left.. looks like a moon and says night under it. 

Yes, that's on the main screen, but there is a setting in the settings screen to make night mode dimmer, almost completely off like shown in my picture.

Edited by calilsv
2 hours ago, calilsv said:

Yes, that's on the main screen, but there is a setting in the settings screen to make night mode dimmer, almost completely off like shown in my picture.

You don't suppose that information like this might be in the Owner's Manual, do you?

6 hours ago, calilsv said:

I also run the delta a lot at night. I think I have done that and still need a towel. I will be verifying it this weekend. And those narrow channels at 25-30 mph can be quite challenging 🙃🙃

12 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I also run the delta a lot at night. I think I have done that and still need a towel. I will be verifying it this weekend. And those narrow channels at 25-30 mph can be quite challenging 🙃🙃

Mine turns it just about completely off, I no longer need a towel.   Malibu sets it at about 1/4 and it might as well be fully lit it's so bright.

16 hours ago, justgary said:

You don't suppose that information like this might be in the Owner's Manual, do you?

I just checked, and it's in my manual.

bl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, calilsv said:

Mine turns it just about completely off, I no longer need a towel.   Malibu sets it at about 1/4 and it might as well be fully lit it's so bright.

I just checked, and it's in my manual.

bl.jpg

And if zero percent backlighting really means zero, you shouldn't be able to see the display at all at night.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

And if zero percent backlighting really means zero, you shouldn't be able to see the display at all at night.

At zero it's just about off, but not completely off.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

You allow someone to turn it completely off, they have accident, company gets sued.

56 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

You allow someone to turn it completely off, they have accident, company gets sued.

You don't allow someone to turn it completely off, they can't see, have an accident, company gets sued. 

Welcome to America, where common sense no longer applies!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, justgary said:

You don't allow someone to turn it completely off, they can't see, have an accident, company gets sued. 

Welcome to America, where common sense no longer applies!

Common sense is so rare now it is considered a super power.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I never realized that either and I’m pretty good about reading the manual too.  I just commented the other night that I couldn’t see s*** when we were heading home and it was pitch black out - in night mode it was way too bright so I went the towel route, but I like to constantly know the depths as our lake isn’t super deep.  Now I need to see what that setting is at....

On 6/14/2021 at 8:30 AM, malibudog said:

tiny subset.

Add me to the tiny subset. I'm out at night all the time, and the rules on the lake I'm on are open speed, 24-hrs a day. Many fishing boats run at speed at night, and I like to see them coming in case they don't see me. Mine is turned all the way down in the settings. It's still too bright to see "past". I'm no ophthalmologist, but if you are jamming any light into my eyes from up close, I can't see into the dark in the distance.  

I'm also not an attorney, but I'm doubtful that any boat company would find the liability of having the "controls" illuminated would be greater than the liability of making the "controls" disappear. While I dislike it, I see why they haven't allowed us to cut the screens completely. 

I also use the towel method, and it's tough to do without having it slide off. When it slides off, it can end up coming in contact with the steering wheel and potentially the throttle. Waiting for someone to sue a manufacturer because some new-to-boating idiot tangled his towel up in his steering/throttle, panicked, and hit the shoreline at speed. 

1 hour ago, BigCreek said:

I'm also not an attorney, but I'm doubtful that any boat company would find the liability of having the "controls" illuminated would be greater than the liability of making the "controls" disappear. While I dislike it, I see why they haven't allowed us to cut the screens completely. 

I can't think of a "control" on the dashboard that is required for cruising a waterway, except possibly a navigation chart.  If I am out at night, I don't care what the dash might say.  If I need a chart, I pull back to idle to look at it and find the next set of navigation markers.  I also keep a spotlight in my lap so I can find markers and scan the horizon a few times a minute to alert other boaters that I am present.

I don't really understand why the manual shown above clearly indicates that "0%" is an option, but that doesn't completely turn off the backlight.  If you have an issue with this, contact Malibu and let them know that you expect 0% to mean off, and then ask them when you can expect to see the software update.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:54 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

Other than running aground due to a covered depth finder, what accident is more likely with the screen off? 

Also, do these new setups include the ability to set a depth alarm? The alarm on our old boats will go off whether the back light is on or not. 

11 hours ago, justgary said:

I don't really understand why the manual shown above clearly indicates that "0%" is an option, but that doesn't completely turn off the backlight.  If you have an issue with this, contact Malibu and let them know that you expect 0% to mean off, and then ask them when you can expect to see the software update.

So I tried to turn mine off this weekend. For me at zero, it still requires a towel. And I will say, It took me a while Sunday am to find the night mode button to turn it back on. During the day, in the sun I had to drape a towel over my head to find the night mode button to turn night mode off :(

9 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

So I tried to turn mine off this weekend. For me at zero, it still requires a towel. And I will say, It took me a while Sunday am to find the night mode button to turn it back on. During the day, in the sun I had to drape a towel over my head to find the night mode button to turn night mode off :(

Yep you need to remember where that button is to turn it back on. Great design!

11 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

That sucks it didnt go low enough for you, I'm ok with it all the way down at night.  

If it was up to JustGary, Malibu should have made it go completely off with no way to turn it back on.  :biggrin:

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, calilsv said:

If it was up to JustGary, Malibu should have made it go completely off with no way to turn it back on.  :biggrin:

And then we wouldn't have all of the complaints about delamination and other problems.

Nothing wrong with putting the brightness control on a separate knob so you can always find it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have now had our new 2021 23 LSV on many night cruises.   I have all my settings adjusted as low as possible and I now join the 2 towel crowd.   Hard to believe a $150,000 boat has a dash that has a night blindness issue.   We love our boat. 

On 6/13/2021 at 12:57 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Ok bad example of the car screens. But nonetheless, it’s a crazy minor thing. Yes the dimmer could go lower but at the end of the day take the three second straight o out a towel on. Or find some tinted film or something. 

i tinted the source circle/display in my Sony head unit for this reason but even limo tint is barely enough to make it tolerable, i did have electrical tape over it worked great but awful tacky, changed it this year to tint that barely works! 

This does present an interesting challenge.  From what I know the remedy for not causing night blindness but still having illumination is red light.  Not sure you can do that in a backlit LCD display.  If possible what would be the cost?  It does seem that there should be an "off" setting that reduces the back light to a level that would not interfere with night vision even if it is to low to be usable.  Given the size of the display without going red I doubt that there is a usable level of light that would not cause night blindness.  

I just checked our 2021 23 MXV, even when fully dimmed it is still too bright.

To throw another wrinkle in this at 60+ I find that shadows are deeper now than they used to be, the threshold for me and the dash will likely be different, and lower, than for you younger members of the crew.

13 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

This does present an interesting challenge.  From what I know the remedy for not causing night blindness but still having illumination is red light.  Not sure you can do that in a backlit LCD display.  If possible what would be the cost?  It does seem that there should be an "off" setting that reduces the back light to a level that would not interfere with night vision even if it is to low to be usable.  Given the size of the display without going red I doubt that there is a usable level of light that would not cause night blindness.  

I just checked our 2021 23 MXV, even when fully dimmed it is still too bright.

To throw another wrinkle in this at 60+ I find that shadows are deeper now than they used to be, the threshold for me and the dash will likely be different, and lower, than for you younger members of the crew.

Interesting....dash lights in my 06 are red...just always figured the color was chosen to look cool lol.  Maybe not.....

As a side note I am the original owner and I bet I have only been out on the water after dark 10 times at the most.  I bet a lot of other Malibu owners pretty much only use their boats during daylight hours as well and have never noticed the brightness.