Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Help!!

06' Sunspace.  My turning radius in gear just off idle is nowhere close to what it should be...actually making it almost impossible to pick up a skier.  Both directions seem the same.  Pulling the boat in a few hours to inspect.  Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Thanks a lot for the help all!

20 minutes ago, fencelake said:

06' Sunspace.  My turning radius in gear just off idle is nowhere close to what it should be...actually making it almost impossible to pick up a skier.  Both directions seem the same.  Pulling the boat in a few hours to inspect.  Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Thanks a lot for the help all!

If it used to be fine and has degraded over the years, I would make a complete inspection of the helm and rudder.  Something has come loose and no longer allows full steering due to the slop.

So got the boat out...my manual wedge was bent up like a pretzel. No idea how it happened...it was in the down position, which I've never even put the wedge down or used it.  The bolts attaching one of the arms sheared off.. researching on here looks like a common problem...so I removed the entire wedge.  Rudder and prop looked perfect to my amateur eye.  I'm hoping that my turning issue is related to this...drag from this piece sticking out etc...will put back in and hope that it...

Edited by fencelake