Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A22 Center Drain Plug question...

Hi All,

Is the top of the brass threaded fitting that the Center T Drain Plug screws into supposed to be 1/4" above the fiberglass hull that it's bored into.  When I take the plug out and leave the boat sitting all of the water ends up pooling in the center and doesn't drain completely because 1/4" of water is left that can't get over the lip of the hole that the brass coupling(?) is in.  It almost seems like the coupling wasnt pushed all the way through (or too far through) went they cemented it in after boring the hole.

Seems like it the top of the coupling should be flush with the inside of the hull so all water can drain down threw it?  I assume this is not unique to the A22.

Thanks

I have never owned a Malibu or any other brand that has had a flush fitting plug for any “T” handle or any other drain plug for that matter. In fact my ‘19 is the only boat that I have owned that actually has the female portion of the transom fitting sitting below the actual hole in the transom so it will drain completely.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I agree with you, that does not sound right. You have a picture you can post? 

I can't get the Insert Image from URL to work, but this link should take you to a picture.  Seems crazy to me that it is so high above the surface and water just pools upto that height

https://ibb.co/9YXR5LH

4 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

If you are concerned about 1/4" of water you really shouldn't be.

in my area we have to have a Quagga inspection which basically looks for standing water (we have no Quagga's in the area).  They kick you if they find some and it's a PITA if I have to get down there with towels or vacuum each time before you go because the drain can't drain because of this.  And then as you are towing to the site gets pooled

Edited by AxisA22er
9 minutes ago, AxisA22er said:

in my area we have to have a Quagga inspection which basically looks for standing water (we have no Quagga's in the area).  They kick you if they find some and it's a PITA if I have to get down there with towels or vacuum each time before you go because the drain can't drain because of this.  And then as you are towing to the site gets pooled

Raise the nose of the trailer up as high as possible so it runs to the back and drains.

Is it possible to get in there and drill a small hole on the low side to allow the rest of the water to drain?  If not a hole, then use a cutting disc and cut a slot.  As long as the plug will still seal, you should be good.

• Like 3
On 6/10/2021 at 4:00 PM, BlindSquirrel said:

Wonder when they changed. My 98 is flush with the inside of the hull.

yes, I'm baffled as to why it isnt flush so the boat can drain?  Could another owner or two of a newish boat confirm their drain is sticking significantly above the inside of the hull?

On 6/9/2021 at 2:55 PM, AxisA22er said:

Hi All,

Is the top of the brass threaded fitting that the Center T Drain Plug screws into supposed to be 1/4" above the fiberglass hull that it's bored into.  When I take the plug out and leave the boat sitting all of the water ends up pooling in the center and doesn't drain completely because 1/4" of water is left that can't get over the lip of the hole that the brass coupling(?) is in.  It almost seems like the coupling wasnt pushed all the way through (or too far through) went they cemented it in after boring the hole.

Seems like it the top of the coupling should be flush with the inside of the hull so all water can drain down threw it?  I assume this is not unique to the A22.

Thanks

no, its raised 

On 6/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, justgary said:

Is it possible to get in there and drill a small hole on the low side to allow the rest of the water to drain?  If not a hole, then use a cutting disc and cut a slot.  As long as the plug will still seal, you should be good.

wet vac!!!!

6 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

wet vac!!!!

If you are at a ramp awaiting an invasive species inspection, that isn't really a good solution....

2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Towels?

yep i often mop it out, wet vac or towels it meeds to be jack raised and lowered to get all the water  to move to center bilge, i also wet vac the water under my starboard cabin cushion that is black fiberglass, has a tunnel passage to move that water trapped by stringer thats under floor of lockers

after lifting locker sacs to drain residual to tanks i jack up the trailer jack then turn on drain switches (same for front sac that has no tank ) and then i wet vac the thru hull till tank is empty snd then wet vac the top vent to sacs

i get all the water out each week

Edited by granddaddy55
2 hours ago, justgary said:

If you are at a ramp awaiting an invasive species inspection, that isn't really a good solution....

on the eastern coast you have inspections for going in the brack???? 

22 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

on the eastern coast you have inspections for going in the brack???? 

Of course not, but the OP clearly stated that it was an issue to him.  Proposing a shop vac at a boat ramp isn't a great solution. 

If mine were that proud, I would slot it so it will drain. 

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Of course not, but the OP clearly stated that it was an issue to him.  Proposing a shop vac at a boat ramp isn't a great solution. 

I agree. I would slot it.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, justgary said:

wasn't proposing that at ramp, at home!!!!  this is not an unusual situation its ridiculously common and is for solving after weekend is over ,  i cant even get all the water to come out stern plug going up the levee to leave the launch area so now i dont remove and its a plug light  .  this is very common and yall act like it shouldn't happen, even if it was flush all the water still wouldn't come out of the boat . mine pools in front of that snd needs to be mopped or vacuumed out