Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Took on Water - Water in Oil - 2003 23LSV 8.1L

Took a group out surfing last night.  All was good pulling the regular side riders, switched to goofy side and boat was sluggish (8.1L is never sluggish) and didn't hit my pp setpoint.  Checked the back compartment where the aftermarket ballast bag is located and the hose connecter had come of the bag.  It had emptied into the engine compartment, and possibly been pumping water directly into it.  Immediately, started draining all ballasts and had a portable ballast pump pumping out the engine compartment.  Boat still starts and I was able to drive it in slowly to the landing while the ballasts drained, got it loaded and pulled plugs to get it fully drained.  Checked the oil and it was milkshake milky.  The V-drive fluids looked ok, but I will drain and replace.  So not being a mechanic, I have some stupid questions. 

What are the ways water gets into the engine oil from taking on water? 

Should I change the oil, and see what happens or just bring it into a shop? 

Any other things I should be checking after taking on water?

FYI - boat was serviced over the winter with tune up, oil change, fuel filter, replaced knock sensor, replaced shaft packing with shaft seal, and replaced impeller.  This was 2nd time out for since service.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by MN_LSV
Add info

You sure it was winterized correctly and you don't have a cracked block?  Only way I can think of that water spraying in the engine compartment gets into the oil is if some how it was coming in through the PCV.

• Like 3

That is what I was afraid of.....

Boat was winterized in fall.  Brought in to shop in March for service which included an oil change.  Picked boat up mid-April and it has been stored in metal pole barn since.  Temps were not below freezing outside for more than a few hours, and I don't think below freezing at all in the pole barn.

Who did the service. I'm having weird problems with my boat after a full service and tune up.  First time out I got an error code saying there was a misfire on a cylinder.  Dealer took it back and said I was down two cylinders.  They claimed it was fixed but I was out last weekend and was still getting error codes.  We went for a surf on the second time out and my wife stated the boat was vibrating much more than normal.  Not to hijack the thread, but I'm frustrated as the service wasn't cheap and the boat ran like a top before the winter, winterizing and tune up....

We had a rear ballast bag hose come loose in our 2020 22 LSV, it was amazing to me how different the boat felt with the water sitting in the bottom of the bilge rather than in the bag.  I would not assume that because if felt sluggish that there was anything really bad going on, that is how our boat felt.  The belts on our M5 were slinging water all over, no telling where the water got in the motor but with the weather you described it is much more likely that it came from when the hose came off rather than cracked block.

I would suggest an oil and filter change, take it out and see if the oil pressure looks like it did before.  Based on how quickly our boat became "sluggish" when the bag dumped I bet that it came loose about the time you went goofy, not that you were riding along for a while with water in the oil.

Suggestion is that you do this sooner than later.  There is moisture around in the block and under the valve covers.  It needs to have clean oil circulating and get hot so the moisture that has condensed around in the motor has time to evaporate off so you don't get any rust on finishes in the motor.

We used a suction pump and pumped all of the milky oil out right away.  Are going to bring it in to the dealer today and have them complete the oil change(s) and pressure test/troubleshoot.  Fingers crossed it is anything other than an engine replacement.  

The sluggishness was definitely because of the extra weight and weight distribution.  The engine seemed to still be running ok and started.  No alarms went off.  I was more worried if water got into the v-drive/transmission.  I was very surprised to find water in the oil.....

Edited by MN_LSV

Well good news!  Brought it into dealer Thurs afternoon.  Shop looked at it Friday.  Received a call Friday afternoon it was ready to go!  They had replaced the impeller in the off season and found a leak in the gasket.  Fixed that and changed the oil and filter.  Transmission/vdrive had no water and plugs were dry.  Took it out for a test drive Sat. and everything seemed to be  working, no water in oil!  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MN_LSV said:

Well good news!  Brought it into dealer Thurs afternoon.  Shop looked at it Friday.  Received a call Friday afternoon it was ready to go!  They had replaced the impeller in the off season and found a leak in the gasket.  Fixed that and changed the oil and filter.  Transmission/vdrive had no water and plugs were dry.  Took it out for a test drive Sat. and everything seemed to be  working, no water in oil!  

Well, that is good.  But how does a bad impeller gasket result in water in the oil?