Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 383 Hammerhead Ignition issues

DenisJubinville

I have a 2006 Wakesetter VLX with a 383 Hammerhead.  Last fall the boat worked great.  This spring I forgot to put in the rear drain plug and it filled the rear of the boat with 10 plus inches of water.  This may be related or not. But, the engine started without issue and  ran smooth until 2000 rpm.  Any higher and the rpm would fluctuate, the check engine alarm would sound and the engine would run rough.  So, I changed the fuel filter, pressure tested the fuel (remains constant at 68lbs) and drew new fuel directly from a Jerry can.  No change to the rpm fluctuation/rough running issue.  Then checked the distributor cap and rotor.  There was condensation inside and corrosion.  I replaced the cap, rotor, cables and spark plugs (the old ones looked fine).  Started the engine and the alarm went off. I turned it off and started it again.  It ran well, I was able to get it to 4000 rpm for 20 seconds then it died.  Now it doesn’t seem to have a spark.  I placed a spark testing light on a cylinder and the spark was very intermittent.  Seems to be an ignition issue?  Question to the group.  Should I try replacing the coil?  Could it be the distributors base or something other?  I can’t get it into a shop to get it scoped and want to enjoy the weekend.  Any help would be great.  

Just a idea but 10 inches of water would probably cover the crank trigger sensor. I know when they go bad that’s 

how they act. Usually throw a code though. Do you have any active codes?

So, the issue seems to have resolved.  I disconnected the battery then reconnected a few minutes later.  All is now good.  I think I had an air lock in the fuel system from when I returned the fuel hose to the main tank.  Will try this weekend and hopefully this is the end of the early season issues.