Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 V-ride

OK so I bought this boat in December after buying the boat I found out it was left in the water without the bilge pump on and storm rolled up and flooded the inside of the boat! After that boat would never crank again. When cranking the boat the starter turns over the engine turns over but I’m getting no spark. The ECM has been changed crank sensor has been changed throttle positioning sensor has been changed and still no spark the codes that are coming through is saying it’s the throttle positioning sensor but it was changed in $2000 already and still will not crank please help!!

Most sensors are connected together for the 5 volt reference circuit through the wiring harness.  If there is corrosion on any of the sensor plugs, or if a sensor is shorted internally the ECM may not be able to tell which one is causing the problem.  For example, a shorted oil pressure sensor may make the ECM think that the throttle position sensor is faulty.

Disconnecting one sensor at a time may help you find a shorted sensor.

Any sensor, component, or connector on the wiring harness that was submerged will need to be closely inspected, cleaned, or possibly replaced.

The throttle position sensor on boats that have electronic throttle control are integrated into the throttle body control motor and is not considered serviceable separately.  Was the electric throttle body replaced?  What SPN FMI diagnostic trouble codes are you getting?

If you are having a no-crank issue and the starter or starter relay were submerged, I would start by inspecting or replacing those components. 

Also check your the 16 pin rectangular engine to boat harness plug near the ECM.  If it was submerged there may be corrosion on the pins preventing the key switch at the helm from getting the crank signal to the relay or starter.  Disconnect the plug, carefully remove the purple pin retainer cap, and make sure the female pins (and male pins on the other plug) are very clean.