Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

383 hammerhead replacement

52 minutes ago, Dalton said:

What’s the best options for a Replacement motor on a 2007 Malibu 23 Lsv?

I think it primarily depends on why you are replacing the motor.  Freeze damage, thrown rod, etc. mean that you could get a short or long block and move all of your manifolds and electronics to the new one.  Anything more and you are looking at a somewhat higher expense.

21 hours ago, justgary said:

I think it primarily depends on why you are replacing the motor.  Freeze damage, thrown rod, etc. mean that you could get a short or long block and move all of your manifolds and electronics to the new one.  Anything more and you are looking at a somewhat higher expense.

We are replacing it because we threw snapped the crankshaft right behind the harmonic balance pulley

If # 1 crank bearing cap and block didn’t get cracked you could be lucky enough to only need a crank.  Next option would be a short block.  
Check the Michigan Motorz website or a GM performance parts site for options.

9 minutes ago, Woodski said:

If # 1 crank bearing cap and block didn’t get cracked you could be lucky enough to only need a crank.  Next option would be a short block.  
Check the Michigan Motorz website or a GM performance parts site for options.

we took it to a shop and quoted us about 10k to get a new crank, mainly because they would have to ship the motor out to have it balanced, so we kind of threw the crank option out the window when they told us that

3 minutes ago, Dalton said:

we took it to a shop and quoted us about 10k to get a new crank, mainly because they would have to ship the motor out to have it balanced, so we kind of threw the crank option out the window when they told us that

Did they offer to kiss you first?  You don't have to balance the motor.  Find a new shop.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SkiingPT said:

Same thing happened to me last year. Motor is being rebuilt as we speak for $6,000

did you have someone local or did you have to ship the motor somewhere?

12 hours ago, Dalton said:

Blueprinting, balancing, and all of that are not needed.  Any new crankshaft you install in your block will have been balanced when they made it, and it will be ready to bolt in. 

You should not have to ship your motor anywhere.  Any responsible adolescent teen should be able to pull it and rebuild it without having to send it off.  If the crankcase is damaged, a reasonable option (like @Woodski mentioned) is to buy a short block and swap your heads, manifolds, and electronics over.  In that case, then yes, the new engine block would be shipped to you.

39 minutes ago, justgary said:

Blueprinting, balancing, and all of that are not needed.  Any new crankshaft you install in your block will have been balanced when they made it, and it will be ready to bolt in. 

You should not have to ship your motor anywhere.  Any responsible adolescent teen should be able to pull it and rebuild it without having to send it off.  If the crankcase is damaged, a reasonable option (like @Woodski mentioned) is to buy a short block and swap your heads, manifolds, and electronics over.  In that case, then yes, the new engine block would be shipped to you.

Thank you so much for the information! They told us that basically we would have to have a crankshaft made for us and it would cost a lot more money. So its nice to know that there is an easier route. Do you happen to know any websites where I can find the crankshaft?

28 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Thank you so much for the information! They told us that basically we would have to have a crankshaft made for us and it would cost a lot more money. So its nice to know that there is an easier route. Do you happen to know any websites where I can find the crankshaft?

This thread suggests that the crank will be expensive, but not nearly as much as a short block would be (since a short block would also contain the same part and many more).  Did you find out if your block and bearing cap are OK?  If so, the crank and gasket set are your primary expenses (but I would probably do a valve job while I was at it).

From @CanVLX's post in that thread, a crankshaft for a ZZ383 crate engine would be this one:

https://paceperformance.com/i-6255227-12489436-cpp-1053-forged-steel-crankshaft-used-in-ht383-and-sp383-crate-engines.html

After a bit more thought, it might be best to contact Indmar to see if they happen to have a crankshaft lying around, or at least a good part number for you to use.

10 minutes ago, justgary said:

After a bit more thought, it might be best to contact Indmar to see if they happen to have a crankshaft lying around, or at least a good part number for you to use.

Yeah, if you use the contact page at indmar.com, Larry seems to get back to you pretty quick.

Looks like forged 383 cranks run about $500, cast ones can be had for $250.  You can replace the entire rotating assembly starting at around $1200

On 6/9/2021 at 8:47 PM, Dalton said:

Local mechanic sent it off