Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 247 LSV Wakesetter w/ Corvette LS2 Engine runs fine then won't start

We just dewinterized the boat and took it out. It ran fine for about 20 minutes and then when I shut it off it would not restart. Got the boat home and a day later hooked it up to a water source and tested the engine. Started up fine. Ran for about 5 minutes, then shut it off and tried to restart. It struggled to restart and a puff of black smoke came out. Seems like an unburnt fuel problem? I just changed the spark plugs the day we took the boat out. So I'm kind of suspicious that I did something wrong - though I've changed spark plugs numerous times in cars and motorcycles - but this is a boat and I've not worked on one before.

Don't know where to start except to take it into the dealer? :( 

14 hours ago, csleaver said:

Check to see if the spark plugs you installed were the correct kind and gapped properly and check that all of the spark plugs boots are back on the spark plugs securely.

Thanks for the response.

The spark plugs are the kind that have the sharp point and are pre-gapped (at least thats what they told me at the store). The boots were pretty snug pushed pretty hard on them until they clicked into place.

I ended up giving in and taking it into the dealer to figure it out :( 

If I remember, I will post in here what the dealer finds out. 

The issue was that I disconnected a temperature sensor in the block to put one of the spark plugs in (I don't remember doing that but I am getting old) and did not reconnect it. When the engine was hot it was putting the wrong amount of fuel in. Simple fix. Boat running fine now. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Naegle said:

The issue was that I disconnected a temperature sensor in the block to put one of the spark plugs in (I don't remember doing that but I am getting old) and did not reconnect it. When the engine was hot it was putting the wrong amount of fuel in. Simple fix. Boat running fine now. 

Thanks for circling back with the fix!  It will definitely help the next guy.