Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23LSV Ballast sensor problem

SteveRoe1

We just took delivery of our brand new 23LSV. We were excited to start surfing.  We tried the pre set options but the stern ballast on the port side was showing 0% full even though it was completely full and started dumping it out the side.  Some how the system always thinks that tank is empty so it just keeps over filling.  It also would not drain on its own.  After the rest of the boat was drained we were able to keep tapping on that ballast to empty it eventually would empty out but we had to keep telling it to empty because again the system thinks it already is empty. 

Our other problem is our nav lights are stuck on all the time if the batter is on no matter what the screen says?  

Very frustrating to have these kind of issues with only 4 hours. 

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Steve

404-964-6848

Reach out to your dealer. Heck if all I had was those small issues, I’d be ecstatic. Remember these are hand built boats. There gonna have little issues. 

I have over 150 hours and still dealing with engine codes, impellers and other small stuff. Dealer is solid as ever and has been great. 

ahopkins22LSV

The sensor is probably just stuck. You can access it through the sun pad storage. The tank goes up the side of the hull and the sensor is on top. Or as @dwc032 said, have your dealer look at it during the break in oil change in 10 hours. 

I honestly don’t use the presets. I just hit fill all on the ballast screen. Set the wedge, speed and surf gate from there as well. Then you could just hit stop when they start overflowing. Although, per the break in procedure you really shouldn’t be surfing fully weighted.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SteveRoe1 said:

We just took delivery of our brand new 23LSV. We were excited to start surfing.  We tried the pre set options but the stern ballast on the port side was showing 0% full even though it was completely full and started dumping it out the side.  Some how the system always thinks that tank is empty so it just keeps over filling.  It also would not drain on its own.  After the rest of the boat was drained we were able to keep tapping on that ballast to empty it eventually would empty out but we had to keep telling it to empty because again the system thinks it already is empty. 

Our other problem is our nav lights are stuck on all the time if the batter is on no matter what the screen says?  

Very frustrating to have these kind of issues with only 4 hours. 

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Steve

404-964-6848

I would consider yourself lucky if that's the only issue you have.  I took delivery of mine in April and it's been messed up prior to even putting it in the water.  It's at the dealer and has been there for a month.  The quality is unfortunately not very good.  The wedge has not worked properly since the first time I turned the power on, so while your issue is problematic, it won't keep you off the water.  Put the dealer on notice and have them take care of it as the 10-hour services.  

5 hours ago, dwc032 said:

Reach out to your dealer. Heck if all I had was those small issues, I’d be ecstatic. Remember these are hand built boats. There gonna have little issues. 

I have over 150 hours and still dealing with engine codes, impellers and other small stuff. Dealer is solid as ever and has been great. 

This is accurate.  However regardless of them being hand built, quality still needs to be there.  Malibu needs to study these issues and rectify them in the process used to not only validate components, but assemble them as well.  Maybe they need to slow down and address some of these issues.  

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The sensor is probably just stuck. You can access it through the sun pad storage. The tank goes up the side of the hull and the sensor is on top. Or as @dwc032 said, have your dealer look at it during the break in oil change in 10 hours. 

I honestly don’t use the presets. I just hit fill all on the ballast screen. Set the wedge, speed and surf gate from there as well. Then you could just hit stop when they start overflowing. Although, per the break in procedure you really shouldn’t be surfing fully weighted.

Really??  We set them up for each rider.  Our younger ones like little to no ballast and little to no wedge so we have one set up for each.  Our oldest surfs just like her mom, so they use the same setting.  I'm one of 2 in our family of 6 that surfs regular, so mine is completely different.  On our former VLX, we spent a day just setting them up the way we like them so it's simply hit the button and go.  I'm hopeful that we can do just that this weeked problem free.  

ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I would consider yourself lucky if that's the only issue you have.  I took delivery of mine in April and it's been messed up prior to even putting it in the water.  It's at the dealer and has been there for a month.  The quality is unfortunately not very good.  The wedge has not worked properly since the first time I turned the power on, so while your issue is problematic, it won't keep you off the water.  Put the dealer on notice and have them take care of it as the 10-hour services.  

This is accurate.  However regardless of them being hand built, quality still needs to be there.  Malibu needs to study these issues and rectify them in the process used to not only validate components, but assemble them as well.  Maybe they need to slow down and address some of these issues.  

Really??  We set them up for each rider.  Our younger ones like little to no ballast and little to no wedge so we have one set up for each.  Our oldest surfs just like her mom, so they use the same setting.  I'm one of 2 in our family of 6 that surfs regular, so mine is completely different.  On our former VLX, we spent a day just setting them up the way we like them so it's simply hit the button and go.  I'm hopeful that we can do just that this weeked problem free.  

Yeah, almost all of us have the same setup other than a tweak to the wedge or surf side. No little kids surfing yet. Plus on the vtx the tanks don’t go up the side yet so I have to restart the rear tanks to get the plug n play full. Little boat problems I guess ;) 

Happened to me the other day with the starboard side stern bag.  Was reading zero when full.  Took me a while to empty it out.  I figured sensor was stuck.  I shut everything down, restarted,  drove to get gas and it seemed to reset or correct itself.  I’m going to let dealer know about it at 50 hour service.

2021 23lsv 40 hours.  

12 hours ago, AWADD09 said:

Happened to me the other day with the starboard side stern bag.  Was reading zero when full.  Took me a while to empty it out.  I figured sensor was stuck.  I shut everything down, restarted,  drove to get gas and it seemed to reset or correct itself.  I’m going to let dealer know about it at 50 hour service.

2021 23lsv 40 hours.  

I've been experiencing the reverse issue with my center tank.  It always reads 20% even when empty and the pump isn't turning off when the tank is empty.  You can hear it running but water is not getting pumped out.  I've attempted to empty it while nose high and still no water so I have to turn the pump off all the time. 

8 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I've been experiencing the reverse issue with my center tank.  It always reads 20% even when empty and the pump isn't turning off when the tank is empty.  You can hear it running but water is not getting pumped out.  I've attempted to empty it while nose high and still no water so I have to turn the pump off all the time. 

I have noticed that as well, my center was staying at 10% and pump was continuing to operate this past weekend, I just shut it off manually.  Is the drain port at the rear of all the tanks for the most part?  

1 hour ago, AWADD09 said:

I have noticed that as well, my center was staying at 10% and pump was continuing to operate this past weekend, I just shut it off manually.  Is the drain port at the rear of all the tanks for the most part?  

The center and bow tank drains are toward the bow along with the forward bilge pump drain.  Rear tanks and rear bilge are toward the stern.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this post on those with center tank not draining all the way. ‘21 23 LSV Having the same issue - center tank only ever gets to 10% and no water comes out even with bow way up. I can see there is about 2-3” of water remaining in the tank no way to get out and have to manually shut off each time when draining or it runs forever. Kind of annoying but dealer has not been able to remedy it. Is this a design flaw or something else?

1 hour ago, LelandBu said:

Bumping this post on those with center tank not draining all the way. ‘21 23 LSV Having the same issue - center tank only ever gets to 10% and no water comes out even with bow way up. I can see there is about 2-3” of water remaining in the tank no way to get out and have to manually shut off each time when draining or it runs forever. Kind of annoying but dealer has not been able to remedy it. Is this a design flaw or something else?

I have the same issue on my ‘20 22 LSV. It’s not annoying enough to take to the dealer but still annoying.

1 hour ago, LelandBu said:

Our 2020 23 LSV does the exact same thing. I haven’t worried about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed that the tank drains below the top of the drain hole. I took the sensor out and it seems to work fine, but the tank always has a residual amount in there. Seems like either a faulty pump that can’t get the last 10% out for some reason, or a design flaw. Maybe it’s just where the sensor is located that makes it very sensitive to any remaining water in the tank. Anyhow, it’s not the end of the world but annoying that this pump always needs to be shut off manually.