Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Wakesetter VLX Restoration

Gbarnesnavy

Just finished my extensive DIY project restoring an 03 VLX.  Wanted to say thank you to this forum as I could not have done it without all the wisdom on here.  Got all the way finished and had a buyer before I even listed it.  Started right up and then no oil pressure.  Bad luck. Any mechanics in San Diego area?  lol.  Need to sell this before I retire from Navy.  Dealer can't see it until July 6th.

Completely remodeled boat and trailer.  New Boat Vinyl Upholstery, Fusion Bluetooth Stereo Deck, Kicker Speakers, Tow Mirror, 4" Captains chair Riser, Impeller, Steering Cable, Tough Coat and American Floor Mat flooring.
New Trailer Tractor Paint, rear tie down straps, rims, boat winch, and boat jack.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

Untitled5.png

Untitled6.png

• Like 2
Just now, braindamage said:

Beautiful!!

Is the engine still good or did it die due to no oil pressure?

Engine starts up fine.  Hoping for just a clogged filter/sensor.  Replaced oil sending unit and no dice.  Gage still reads zero.

Just now, Gbarnesnavy said:

Engine starts up fine.  Hoping for just a clogged filter/sensor.  Replaced oil sending unit and no dice.  Gage still reads zero.

You may just have a bad gauge. Did it work previously?

Yes.  The buyer had a friend with him that checked the fills holes on top and couldn't see any oil so I fear it may be an oil pump.  That's beyond my DIY capability.  lol

Its weird though because from what I understand is if there was a bad gage the alarm should still sound as its a different signal.  Replaced the oil sending unit so don't see how its a bad pump without the alarm.

Boat looks great!!

If the alarm isn’t sounding then the pressure switch is sending a pressure signal.   Pull the wire from the pressure switch and see if the alarm sounds.   
The pressure switch for the alarm is a different signal than the pressure guage sender.   Both take pressure from the same tap tho.   

You can rent a proper pressure reader that will read right there near the filter.  

Oil pump failure is extremely rare.   

8 hours ago, ROFF said:

Boat looks great!!

If the alarm isn’t sounding then the pressure switch is sending a pressure signal.   Pull the wire from the pressure switch and see if the alarm sounds.   
The pressure switch for the alarm is a different signal than the pressure guage sender.   Both take pressure from the same tap tho.   

You can rent a proper pressure reader that will read right there near the filter.  

Oil pump failure is extremely rare.   

Good idea. They are only 30 bucks at harbor freight. Will grab one today

question though.  If there really is no oil pressure is it okay to start engine to check the pressure?  It won’t break anything idling if the oil pressure is actually zero?

Does the alarm sound when the ignition switch is in the “on/run” position but engine not running?  Then after the engine is started, the alarm stops?   This would indicate oil pressure.    Not sure how much trips the pressure switch but minimum is about 4 psi for idle IIR.    This is what I’m gathering from reading your earlier post.  If this is the case I would assume there’s pressure (and proper oil quantity??) and the gauge is at fault.    Make sure the sender doesn’t have Teflon on the threads.  And be careful changing it as that brass tap can be fragile (but easily replaced).   

The pressure gauge is kind of superfluous.   Unless you’re data logging and trend monitoring with a calibrated gauge I’d pretty much ignore it.    I certainly wouldn’t cancel days on the lake because my oil pressure reads 10psi less than a month ago.   

Running the engine with no oil pressure or oil is bad   Really bad. No matter what speed.   In all likelihood it’s the gauge.    Do,the other gauges in the cluster work?

Edited by ROFF
3 hours ago, ROFF said:

Does the alarm sound when the ignition switch is in the “on/run” position but engine not running?  Then after the engine is started, the alarm stops?   This would indicate oil pressure.    Not sure how much trips the pressure switch but minimum is about 4 psi for idle IIR.    This is what I’m gathering from reading your earlier post.  If this is the case I would assume there’s pressure (and proper oil quantity??) and the gauge is at fault.    Make sure the sender doesn’t have Teflon on the threads.  And be careful changing it as that brass tap can be fragile (but easily replaced).   

The pressure gauge is kind of superfluous.   Unless you’re data logging and trend monitoring with a calibrated gauge I’d pretty much ignore it.    I certainly wouldn’t cancel days on the lake because my oil pressure reads 10psi less than a month ago.   

Running the engine with no oil pressure or oil is bad   Really bad. No matter what speed.   In all likelihood it’s the gauge.    Do,the other gauges in the cluster work?

They other three do work. That’s why I am worried it’s an actual loss of pressure. Sounds like not worth taking any chances. I will just wait until Dealer looks at it. Thank you for your advice. 

note that there are likely two oil pressure sending units.

one sends an analog signal to the dash gauge while the other is an on/off signal to the ecm.

both are located very near the oil filter and may coexist on a "T" fitting.

Simple question.  Does it rattle like crazy when you start it or does it sound smooth and quiet?

If you truly have no oil pressure the lifters are going to collapse and the loose rockers will make it sound like its coming apart.

If it sounds smooth I would say it is safe to explore taking a real pressure measurement.

It starts right up and sounds smooth. I am hesitant to start it again though as I cannot see any oil threw the top fills holes. 

The only audible warning i hear is the normal one when key is in the on position. Then stops when starting like normal. 

You dont have to start it to check pressure. But you do hsve to spin it over. Go to autozone and put the deposit down for their test gauge kit. Plop the gauge on the engine, pull the coil wire, and just spin the engine over. My guess is youll get about 10lbs. That is enough to then put the coil wire back on and briefly start, still with the test gauge on. Of course if its zero lbs on the spin over, dont then start the engine.

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
Added i fo