Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Malibu Sportster LX Voltage Gauge Inoperable

RidgeRunner2018

Just purchased the boat. First trip out at the river, we noticed voltage gauge was working. Check alternator for charging with test light, got 14.2 volts. So alternator is functioning properly, but nothing reading on gauge. Last weekend we lost the oil pressure gauge. Tonight I went all over the engine checking all the connections, found a broken eyelet on a heavy ground wire on the back of the engine block. Fixed the eyelet and put ground wire back on, and oil pressure returned. I performed a self test on the MMDC control module, all the gauges sweep except the voltage gauge it never moves. Is that the sign of a bad gauge cluster? What is  the purple and red wire on the alternator, is one for the voltage gauge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

If the volt gauge does not move during the gauge sweep test then either the gauge is faulty or the wiring and plug is causing the issue.  You can unplug another gauge and switch that plug to the volt gauge and do the gauge sweep test again to narrow down where the problem is.

there is a canon plug which carries many of those signals from the engine to the helm.

search for it, pull it apart, clean contacts, VERY SLIGHTLY spread the bifurcated male pins, coat w dielectric grease then reassemble.

Thanks for the info. I did try to plug the gauge cluster into a spare plug that was behind the dash. I going to assume it was there because the OEM tach was removed and a Perfect Pass system was installed at the time of manufacturing according to the original owner.  I am leaning towards a bad gauge cluster. Any idea where this cannon plug would be located you speak of, what does it look like? I went all over the engine and checked every connection I could find.