Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help please! Boat won't start.

Hi everyone, need some help here please. 

Took the boat out for the first time this season over the weekend. Got to the ramp and started to launch the boat when it wouldn't start. I turned the ignition and nothing. No click of the starter and no crank. Batteries (I have dual) are fully charged and pushing 13 amps. Gauges all work and I can hear the fuel pump engage. Just no crank from the starter. 

Today I replaced ignition key/tumbler and the starter with new ones. I know I'm getting power to the starter because I got spark when testing. 

I'm drawing a blank here on what it could be? Pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Nothing has changed since last season. It ran perfectly fine before storing it in my heated garage over the winter. Batteries were put on a NOCO Genuis battery tender and are in good condition. 

I was thinking it could be the a breaker/fuse or a relay. But the only breaker/fuse I found was the 50 amp engine breaker. Could that that be it? I couldn't find any other relays other than the two that are mounted by the 50 amp breaker, but have no clue how to access them? Other than completely dismantling the backside of the mounting plate on the back of the motor. 

Every boat service department I call keeps saying that I just need to take it in. Not really helping me trouble shoot it. Kind of frustrating.

I read some of the past forum posts about similar issues, but it seams like some of the fixes I've already tried. 

I appreciate any guidance that anyone has. A big THANK YOU in advance.

Thanks for the quick responses. It's not in gear, checked that a couple times. And the lanyard is functional, checked that a couple times as well.

This has happened to a friend of mine. No really it was a friend. Actually 2 of them. 
try wiggling the shift forward back while holding the key. 
The two times I have helped someone with this problem. Both times I wiggled the shifter and it started. 
one of them had already had a replacement starter and was asking me to help him change it. 
Good Luck 

Thanks everyone. I'll try wiggling the throttle and going through the No Start guide. I'll come back if all else fails. Really appreciate the help!

Alright I'm stuck now. Wiggled the throttle and that didn't work. Now working through the No Start guide and made it to the part where I need to check the relays.

"There is a relay mounted on the underside of the ECM cover called the start relay. It is mounted
there with two other relays, the ECM relay and the fuel pump relay. The start relay is the only
one that has yellow wires going to it. You can try swapping out one of the other relays with the
start relay and see if the engine cranks."

But how do I get to these relays? "It is held in place by 4-10/32 screws with 5/16" hex heads." Are these the silver ones towards the bottom of the ECM cover?

Also, I only see two relays? Am I not looking in the right place?

8 hours ago, GX2 said:

Alright I'm stuck now. Wiggled the throttle and that didn't work. Now working through the No Start guide and made it to the part where I need to check the relays.

"There is a relay mounted on the underside of the ECM cover called the start relay. It is mounted
there with two other relays, the ECM relay and the fuel pump relay. The start relay is the only
one that has yellow wires going to it. You can try swapping out one of the other relays with the
start relay and see if the engine cranks."

But how do I get to these relays? "It is held in place by 4-10/32 screws with 5/16" hex heads." Are these the silver ones towards the bottom of the ECM cover?

Also, I only see two relays? Am I not looking in the right place?

off topic: while two v three relays makes sense, i don't want to edit the no-start doc without confirmation. 

• is "two relays on a naturally aspirated engine correct"? 
  • anyone have an easy method to identify each?
  • is a naturally aspirated fuel pump mechanical?  if, indeed, it's a mechanical fuel pump then: if fuel injected rig has 3 relays: ECM, STARTER and FUEL PUMP and there is not a FUEL PUMP relay on a naturally aspirated engine what does the second relay control?
Edited by tvano
8 hours ago, csleaver said:

What engine is in your boat and is it carbureted or fuel injected?  Usually, the more info you offer the more accurate the advice will be.

It has the Indmar 5.7L 310hp motor and is fuel injected.

Finally got to the relays. Still only see two back there. Swapped them and still nothing. Going to go get new relays just in case, then I'll try again.

36 minutes ago, GX2 said:

Finally got to the relays. Still only see two back there. Swapped them and still nothing. Going to go get new relays just in case, then I'll try again.

may well be only two on a carb-ed rig.  unlikely, imho, that both would be sick.

^^ Pro tip: Use your best screwdriver so it makes the best contact. :whistle:

Just kidding. Use your worst one, the solenoid will take a bite out of it when you jump it.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
1 hour ago, BlindSquirrel said:

^^ Pro tip: Use your best screwdriver so it makes the best contact. :whistle:

Just kidding. Use your worst one, the solenoid will take a bite out of it when you jump it.

I tend to use the end of a set of jumper cables - but whatever works for you ;)

On 6/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, oldjeep said:

If it were me, I'd be trying to jump the starter solenoid directly and if that spins it up then work back from there,

Took the starter off the boat and jumped it using my truck. Starter is good. Put the multi meter on the power post at the starter, and turned the ignition to the ON position and got 10.69? Is that right?

Then put the multi meter on the solenoid post and turned the key to START, and got nothing. Went back to the power post on the starter and it still read 10.69 even on the START position. So it didn't draw down.

Will continue to try to narrow down where the problem is. I think it's somewhere between the Ignition Switch and the Starter. Something isn't right.

I thought 10.69 was low too. But the batteries are literally brand new. Bought them today.

I got them on the trickle charger tonight. Hopefully in the morning they will be fully charged and I'll try again.

If not, definitely will try to hook up the truck and try to jump it with that.