Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Public service announcement- Impeller recall

2021 M240 impeller fell apart, boat overheated. Turns out there is a recall on Johnson impellers so check with your dealer. 

16 hours ago, Idamon said:

2021 M240 impeller fell apart, boat overheated. Turns out there is a recall on Johnson impellers so check with your dealer. 

There is an impeller service bulletin on Sherwood impellers.

If your boat was on the SB list like you stated in the other thread you had a Sherwood pump and impeller, not a Johnson.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Clarification
  • Like 3
34 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

There is an impeller service bulletin on Sherwood impellers.

If your boat was on the SB list like you stated in the other thread you had a Sherwood pump and impeller, not a Johnson.

Dealer said I have a sherwood pump and a johnson impeller and that johnson has made a new one for the sherwood pump. I have no idea.

1 minute ago, Idamon said:

Dealer said I have a sherwood pump and a johnson impeller and that johnson has made a new one for the sherwood pump. I have no idea.

They must be mistaken then. The Sherwood pump came with a Sherwood impeller. The service bulletin that was released is for these boats. If your boat is on the SB list it came with a Sherwood impeller and dealers were informed to change it out to the new impeller made by Johnson for the Sherwood pumps.

1 minute ago, 23LSVOwner said:

They must be mistaken then. The Sherwood pump came with a Sherwood impeller. The service bulletin that was released is for these boats. If your boat is on the SB list it came with a Sherwood impeller and dealers were informed to change it out to the new impeller made by Johnson for the Sherwood pumps.

How can I distinguish a sherwood from johnson impeller?

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, Idamon said:

How can I distinguish a sherwood from johnson impeller?

Sherwood impellers/pumps will have a keyed shaft and Johnson will have a threaded shaft. The info is all in the thread that @csleaverlinked. 

16 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Sherwood impellers/pumps will have a keyed shaft and Johnson will have a threaded shaft. The info is all in the thread that @csleaverlinked. 

It was confusing and still is... threaded shaft to me means bolt threads but the pictures would show a star like pattern that I would call splined. So are you saying the johnson shaft is splined? If so, I had a sherwood impeller for sure. Question is still up in the air regarding the impeller considering johnson is now manufacturing the sherwood impeller replacement... so they obviously also have a keyed shaft impeller...

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, Idamon said:

It was confusing and still is... threaded shaft to me means bolt threads but the pictures would show a star like pattern that I would call splined. So are you saying the johnson shaft is splined? If so, I had a sherwood impeller for sure. Question is still up in the air regarding the impeller considering johnson is now manufacturing the sherwood impeller replacement... so they obviously also have a keyed shaft impeller...

Splined is probably the correct term. Here is a picture of the Johnson impeller for the Johnson pump. None of the Sherwood impellers I’ve ever seen had model number on the hub, Johnson's do. Personally I’d ask if your dealer can just put the Johnson pump on. I hear the replacement impellers for the Sherwood pumps are in very short supply  

B11BB758-D1A3-435F-85DF-F0E7646C6AA3.jpeg

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The Johnson impeller has a keyed shaft like the Sherwood impeller so it can be used in the Sherwood housing.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

The new replacement Johnson sea water pumps do use the common 09-812b splined impeller, but there is a keyed Johnson impeller available that replaces the original Sherwood impeller.  There are several things that are checked in the bulletin, it is not just a simple impeller or pump replacement.