Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Public service announcement- Impeller recall


Recommended Posts

2021 M240 impeller fell apart, boat overheated. Turns out there is a recall on Johnson impellers so check with your dealer. 

 

 

Link to post

FIY, I think there are there are about 11 pages over the last 9 months on here discussing something like that, but thanks for the heads up.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
23LSVOwner
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Idamon said:

2021 M240 impeller fell apart, boat overheated. Turns out there is a recall on Johnson impellers so check with your dealer. 

 

 

There is an impeller service bulletin on Sherwood impellers.

If your boat was on the SB list like you stated in the other thread you had a Sherwood pump and impeller, not a Johnson.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Clarification
  • Like 3
Link to post
34 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

There is an impeller service bulletin on Sherwood impellers.

If your boat was on the SB list like you stated in the other thread you had a Sherwood pump and impeller, not a Johnson.

Dealer said I have a sherwood pump and a johnson impeller and that johnson has made a new one for the sherwood pump. I have no idea.

Link to post
23LSVOwner
1 minute ago, Idamon said:

Dealer said I have a sherwood pump and a johnson impeller and that johnson has made a new one for the sherwood pump. I have no idea.

 

They must be mistaken then. The Sherwood pump came with a Sherwood impeller. The service bulletin that was released is for these boats. If your boat is on the SB list it came with a Sherwood impeller and dealers were informed to change it out to the new impeller made by Johnson for the Sherwood pumps.

Link to post
1 minute ago, 23LSVOwner said:

 

They must be mistaken then. The Sherwood pump came with a Sherwood impeller. The service bulletin that was released is for these boats. If your boat is on the SB list it came with a Sherwood impeller and dealers were informed to change it out to the new impeller made by Johnson for the Sherwood pumps.

How can I distinguish a sherwood from johnson impeller?

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Idamon said:

How can I distinguish a sherwood from johnson impeller?

Sherwood impellers/pumps will have a keyed shaft and Johnson will have a threaded shaft. The info is all in the thread that @csleaverlinked. 

Link to post
16 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Sherwood impellers/pumps will have a keyed shaft and Johnson will have a threaded shaft. The info is all in the thread that @csleaverlinked. 

It was confusing and still is... threaded shaft to me means bolt threads but the pictures would show a star like pattern that I would call splined. So are you saying the johnson shaft is splined? If so, I had a sherwood impeller for sure. Question is still up in the air regarding the impeller considering johnson is now manufacturing the sherwood impeller replacement... so they obviously also have a keyed shaft impeller...

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Idamon said:

It was confusing and still is... threaded shaft to me means bolt threads but the pictures would show a star like pattern that I would call splined. So are you saying the johnson shaft is splined? If so, I had a sherwood impeller for sure. Question is still up in the air regarding the impeller considering johnson is now manufacturing the sherwood impeller replacement... so they obviously also have a keyed shaft impeller...

Splined is probably the correct term. Here is a picture of the Johnson impeller for the Johnson pump. None of the Sherwood impellers I’ve ever seen had model number on the hub, Johnson's do. Personally I’d ask if your dealer can just put the Johnson pump on. I hear the replacement impellers for the Sherwood pumps are in very short supply  

B11BB758-D1A3-435F-85DF-F0E7646C6AA3.jpeg

Link to post
23LSVOwner
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Sherwood impellers/pumps will have a keyed shaft and Johnson will have a threaded shaft. The info is all in the thread that @csleaverlinked. 

The Johnson impeller has a keyed shaft like the Sherwood impeller so it can be used in the Sherwood housing.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Link to post

The new replacement Johnson sea water pumps do use the common 09-812b splined impeller, but there is a keyed Johnson impeller available that replaces the original Sherwood impeller.  There are several things that are checked in the bulletin, it is not just a simple impeller or pump replacement.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...