Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Indmar Raptor 410 Motor - CATS & Exhaust Manifolds

I purchased a new to me 2016 Malibu LSV 23 with the 410 Ford Motor that has 240 hours (supposed to be 129 but thats another story). On the first outing even with proper start up procedure we had a impeller grenade on us, but was able to catch this before the motor got above 200 degrees. After that point the boat starting throwing multiple error codes related to the O2 sensors. I was not aware at the time I purchased the boat, but have hence been made aware that it as in Brackish water. I took the boat in to my local dealer after a significant amount of research surrounding the problematic CATs in these motors and their partner in crime the O2 sensors...

Dealer came back with that the CATS are heavily damaged which in turn is kicking off O2 sensors. They also found water in both of the exhaust manifolds which leads them to believe that both manifolds need replaced as well. This results in nearly a $6.5k bill and o btw since it has corrosion from brackish water warranty is 3 years not 5 years.

Thoughts on if Brackish water could really eat/destroy BOTH exhaust manifolds in 240 hours?

image.thumb.png.cd30b699f27e9a8f877b87c9fab6dc56.png

IMG_4401.jpeg

Edited by TC_2006_VLX

Do you trust the dealer?  If so I would think they wouldn’t steer you wrong. I trust mine 100% and yeah it sucks to get a $6500 bill, but atleast it will be done right. 

Yes I have seen brackish/salt water eat cats if there no taken care of. Mostly see bad cats, motor-mounts and steering cables. Most of my buddies who live near the Columbia are in brackish/salt water have installed flush systems in their boats. But if taken care of, I don’t think brackish water is that big deal, but I am no not expert. 

30 minutes ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Thoughts on if Brackish water could really eat/destroy BOTH exhaust manifolds in 240 hours?

It isn't just 240 hours, it is five years.  The salt will stay in the manifolds (and block, etc.) working its magic any time the humidity rises a bit, which is quite a long time after you run the boat.  Flushing is your friend, but even then the cast manifolds are expendable parts.

Any chance you can take this back to the seller and get a little cabbage back?

On 6/7/2021 at 4:11 PM, justgary said:

It isn't just 240 hours, it is five years.  The salt will stay in the manifolds (and block, etc.) working its magic any time the humidity rises a bit, which is quite a long time after you run the boat.  Flushing is your friend, but even then the cast manifolds are expendable parts.

Any chance you can take this back to the seller and get a little cabbage back?

I hit him up initially for incorrect hours and some gelcoat damage which even then he was less than optimal to work with. Further more he is definitely one of those people who has enough more that it was cheaper to upgrade after a couple years rather than be burdened with flushing... and i got the short end of the stick!

Easy enough to believe that all that stuff could rust out if the engine was not flushed after each use.

Have you considered trying to source the parts yourself and do the repair, or has that train already left the station?

Although there may not be a lot of places to get the parts since that Raptor setup was so short lived.