Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheat - no water flow

Had a little hiccup after launching this weekend. For context, running an indmar 350 in a 2011 LSV, about 240 hours.  In my winterizing procedure I always shut the raw water intake valve to avoid antifreeze from seeping out the bottom.  This year, went through the normal pre-launch routine, and forgot to open up the valve.  Put the boat in, it fired up, temp stayed stable, and put in in gear to make it to my lift (about 80 feet away).  Had to take a spin around to line it up and the temp ran up to 240.  I managed to get it on the lift without it running too long, then realized my mistake.  

Had some smoke coming out of the exhaust and from the engine bay, no water or leaking.  I opened up the valve, and let the engine cool.  

Time ran out for me, and had to close things up for the weekend but my question is what should be the immediate check points?  I'm going to replace the impeller (running without any water probably toasted it.  Assuming it is in one piece, but if it isn't, should I disconnect the hose to the transmission and try to clear any debris?  

Will replace the thermostat for piece of mind, doing a quick oil change at the same time.  Any insights or experience would be helpful.

If it happened to me, I would:

- Check for debris in the raw water hose and transmission cooler while changing the impeller

- Run it until warm and then change the oil; look for milkshake in the oil

- Do a compression/leakdown test while it is warm

- Pull the exhaust hoses from the risers and inspect the insides of the hoses and the cats to make sure they are healthy; exhaust hoses can look great on the outside but be baked out on the inside

- Install a check valve in the water inlet hose so that this never happens again

Good points.  I pulled the dipstick about an hour or so later and the oil was clear.  Oddly oil pressure never rose and was a steady when everything happened.  

For good measure, should I just change the exhaust hoses?  On the inside of the hoses, I'd be looking for cracks?  

Generally speaking, after an overheat, and once the majority of the easier things have been replaced, if the motor goes back to running normal, I shouldn't expect any issues?

Posted (edited)

You are not going to have any problems. Gary's list above is all you need to take care of. The LCR has a internal recirculating pump and the engine is solid as they come.

I had the terrible misfortune of losing raw water when I was running my 2011 23 vRide in driveway and a timer shut the raw water supply off. Engine idled AT LEAST 10 minutes with 0 water while I was inside the house letting it "warm up".  When I came out I pretty much assumed the entire block was shot based on the steam and smoke. Service alarms were set off and temps were well over 240. The impeller was melted in the water pump housing. Replaced impeller, cleaned out water pump housing, checked screens, replaced t-stat, oil, filter.

6 years later the boat still runs 45mph flat out at 160 degrees temp, over 500 hours. Zero issues.

Edited by Sride
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, Sride said:

You are not going to have any problems. Gary's list above is all you need to take care of. The LCR has a internal recirculating pump and the engine is solid as they come.

I had the terrible misfortune of losing raw water when I was running my 2011 23 vRide in driveway and a timer shut the raw water supply off. Engine idled AT LEAST 10 minutes with 0 water while I was inside the house letting it "warm up".  When I came out I pretty much assumed the entire block was shot based on the steam and smoke. Service alarms were set off and temps were well over 240. The impeller was melted in the water pump housing. Replaced impeller, cleaned out water pump housing, checked screens, replaced t-stat, oil, filter.

6 years later the boat still runs 45mph flat out at 160 degrees temp, over 500 hours. Zero issues.

This is reassuring!  I have most of those parts on order, looks like it will be a busy weekend for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on the EXT re-plumb kit and thermostat to arrive.  Pulled the impeller and as expected it was cooked.  Sucked up the remaining bits out of the line and in the transmission cooler.  New impeller in, fresh oil, and I cautiously fired it up.  Things ran smooth at idle, gave it a little bump in gear and still all good.  

Let the engine get up to operating temp in neutral, again things sounded fine.  All the lines and cats look good.  The only thing i'm a bit concerned about are those nylon fittings.  Some of them have some white residue around them, I'm thinking since I will be replacing the hoses, do I just replace those as well for piece of mind?  If so, does anyone know which size? 3/4 x 1?