Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine start/stop button does not turn off engine

Title sums it up.  Everything is fine, push button to stop engine, it keeps running.  Had to power off the boat with the power button (not battery disconnect) to shut down motor.  This only has happened once.  Last years boat happened a bunch of times until software was updated.  Anyone ever see this?

I had this happen once to my 2020 MXZ.  I don't remember if I used the dash power button or tried flipping my battery switch.  Either way it never did it again.

Hopefully its an isolated problem for you .

ahopkins22LSV

I’ve had it happen maybe two times. I guess I should probably check the switch. But as you said the main power button worked to turn the engine and everything off. I let the boat sit for a minute and when it started right back up with now issues I just moved on I guess. Not sure of the cause. 

On 6/7/2021 at 1:00 AM, Surf4FamFun said:

Title sums it up.  Everything is fine, push button to stop engine, it keeps running.  Had to power off the boat with the power button (not battery disconnect) to shut down motor.  This only has happened once.  Last years boat happened a bunch of times until software was updated.  Anyone ever see this?

Couple things to add... if you have your key turned to the on position, then it will disable the start/stop button. Also, I often have to hold the button in for a full second. I think there is a built in delay.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:00 AM, Surf4FamFun said:

Its not done .. surf on! :rockon:

• 11 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 2:00 AM, Surf4FamFun said:

I'm seeing this on my 2021 23 LSV.  They replaced the start/stop switch and harness, but it didn't fix it.  

Has anyone found a cause yet?

I have the same issue on my 2017 23LSV, but worse. Mine won’t start! It turns off just fine using the button. I’m afraid to turn the boat off in the water anymore, because I don’t know how long it will be before pushing the button will start the boat. Sometimes, it will start right back up. Sometimes, we will press the button 100 times over several minutes before it works. I’ve replaced the button harness once, and also paid to have the software updated. I’m taking it in next week, hoping it will get fixed. It’s possible it could be the wire harness back to the starter. This is a safety issue that needs to be resolved! 

Forgot to mention, the key won’t start the boat either. Displays all work fine, batteries are great, pumps will run, music will play, blower turns on etc., just can’t start the boat!

I just found a few other threads with similar comments. The most useful comment I’ve found for my issue would be one about making sure the ground wire is tightened down. It’s port side under the spark plugs they said. I’m going to go check that now!

19 hours ago, gunn said:

I just found a few other threads with similar comments. The most useful comment I’ve found for my issue would be one about making sure the ground wire is tightened down. It’s port side under the spark plugs they said. I’m going to go check that now!

I feel like it's something like a bad ground, or low voltage too.  I've also had both displays just go out and even the radio just kick off for no reason.  

The fact that all of the wiring under my dash is crammed together so tight that my dash plate won't stay makes me think it's under there somewhere.

In the settings screen go to System Settings - Software and select reset.  After the software reset go to the Configuration menu and make sure the Boat Model / Hull ID is correct for your boat model and tower, then on the Configuration - Boat Options screen make sure the correct options for your boat are selected.  I usually take a photo of the boat options screen ahead of time to make it easier.