Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220 Bimini

mfcolbrie

Hello, all!

I am new here and to Malibu boats. Been perusing the forum and it seems like everyone are cordial and helpful.

I am a first time boat owner and don’t have much experience towing behind a car. We were moving the boat from one lake to another (short distance and didn’t really get above 40mph) when the bimini locking pin on the port side came out, this caused that side of the bimini to get caught in the wind and fly up. The starboard side pin stayed in but that side of the bimini frame got bent up as it couldn’t withstand the wind force. We pulled over and bent that side back down which resulted in the cracking of the frame right where it goes into the pivot point (photos to follow). It had been working fine until today when the frame broke off completely at the already fractured point. I spoke with the Malibu dealer and they are saying 4-6 weeks to get a new bimini. 

A couple of questions....

1) I’ve looked in the Malibu manual about trailering the boat with the bimini down but can’t find any guidance. The dealer said you can’t trailer with the bimini down. Obviously that is the best guidance but I feel like you should at least be able to go the same speed as you can with the boat on the water.  I’m trying to see if I can get this covered under warranty since the pin popped out. 

2) 4-6 weeks is a long time to go without a bimini top. Been trying to find third party parts online without any luck since the M220 is so new. . Does anyone know if the G5 towers have the same frame or of a place which sells M220 parts.

Any other thoughts on how to temporarily fix the busted bimini frame? Thought about taking it off and seeing about getting it welded for now.

Thank you very much for any help.

Regards!

Michael 

They may not fix it under warranty but I would tel them you were going down the water when it happened not while you were towing it.

As for parts… good luck. Not only is it super new, parts are in high demand everywhere and there are back orders galore. 

you might be able to find a metal fabricator who can make you some parts. I’m not sure what is broken though 

Thank you for the reply. I wish I knew how to upload photos. But it’s the frame itself which has broken in two. The front part of it.

Mine bent also last fall.   I was driving back in 25mph winds.    Waves were huge and air got under the Bimini when going up a steep wave.    It scared the crap out of me.   

One side released from the tower and didn't bend butt the other side did not release and bent the bar.  

I had mine fixed and works fine now.    

Here are some links to the picture since I couldn't figure how to upload them.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JRFzUua2mQSzQzT48

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8hUN1HxGxzuWTsWM8

• 2 years later...
Nagelmotox
On 6/12/2021 at 8:33 PM, Reveille said:

Mine bent also last fall.   I was driving back in 25mph winds.    Waves were huge and air got under the Bimini when going up a steep wave.    It scared the crap out of me.   

One side released from the tower and didn't bend butt the other side did not release and bent the bar.  

I had mine fixed and works fine now.    

Here are some links to the picture since I couldn't figure how to upload them.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JRFzUua2mQSzQzT48

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8hUN1HxGxzuWTsWM8

Did you have any luck with Malibu? I had my Bimini out this morning and we were doing about 35 into a 20 mph wind, my rear support beam came loose, up went the Bimini in the wind and bent the damn front part of the frame on my m220. So ticked as that shouldn't happen. They need a better locking mechanism in those two rear poles. 

10 hours ago, Nagelmotox said:

Did you have any luck with Malibu? I had my Bimini out this morning and we were doing about 35 into a 20 mph wind, my rear support beam came loose, up went the Bimini in the wind and bent the damn front part of the frame on my m220. So ticked as that shouldn't happen. They need a better locking mechanism in those two rear poles. 

If the rear support poles are locked into place by turning the pin on the tower side mount (like youre supposed to do) its virtually impossible for them to come out.

Nagelmotox
4 hours ago, COOP said:

If the rear support poles are locked into place by turning the pin on the tower side mount (like youre supposed to do) its virtually impossible for them to come out.

That's what I thought too. Never had an issue on 3 boats I've owned but I think the pressure from the wind rattled them as it seems to have way more wind drag. It wasn't the side that came loose that did it as that one is what tilted and caused the other side to bend.