Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ignition / Throttle Issue

Hey there. Me an my wife just bought our first boat. 1983 Malibu Skiier!

Was getting ready to take it to our local lake so we started it up and didn’t want to start all of a sudden. 

We can get it running but only with ignition (hold key in start position it stays running but high rpm) once we let go of the key to accessory position it shuts off.

We give it fuel with throttle and there is no response there. 

-Getting Fuel

-Getting spark

-Throttle opens carb

im a little stumped at this point.

Edited by SeanShannon
left the year of the boat out

Check to see if your coil uses a ballast resistor.  If so, it may be bad.  Also check the key switch itself to make sure that you have 12v on the ignition tab when it is in run position.  Finally, if you have a kill switch, bypass it to make sure it isn't acting up.

• Like 1

thank you for the response. 

i just replaced the ignition coil this morning. i also replaced the ignition switch this morning. i’m replacing the fuel filter now, and crossing our fingers. 

32 minutes ago, SeanShannon said:

thank you for the response. 

i just replaced the ignition coil this morning. i also replaced the ignition switch this morning. i’m replacing the fuel filter now, and crossing our fingers. 

Check for a ballast resistor.  If you have one and it is bad, you will get spark in "start" but not in "run."  This diagram is not exactly for your boat, but should show you the basic idea.

spacer.png