Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in bilge

After a day of 90%  floating there is a couple inches of water in my center drain area and also in my bilge. I can hear the hum of a bilge pump when I hit the button on the dash. Honestly I cannot see the bilge pump though. 
Could the prop seal be the source of the water? Dealer re-did driplesss in March. 
Am I crazy for not seein the bilge pump?

012 247.

Edited by TNgillster

The shaft seal and their hose clamps would be the first thing that comes to mind normally. With that much water I would also be checking the raw water impeller pump cover and ballast pump hose clamps. Especially if you were using them.

Edited by wdr
Cl
ahopkins22LSV

Honestly the first thing that comes to mind for me is if you spent 90% of the day floating; were you and others in and out of the boat that whole time? Water dripping off people can add up rather quickly.

Double check everything mentioned above too, it wont hurt and is good practice.

You could also have a leaking platform or wedge bracket, or even an exhaust tip that isn't sealed well.  Your inspection could include wiping a paper towel around any transom fasteners to see if they are leaking (obviously, you would do this while the boat is floating).  Another possibility is the raw water inlet in the hull.

The bilge pump is usually located at the starboard rear of the engine compartment.  If you lift up the starboard transom seat and remove the storage bin you can likely see the white and blue pump in the bilge.

If the leak occurs when the engine is not running I would check any fastener on the transom that is below water line.  This usually involves removing the engine side panels, removing the panels above the ballast drain pumps, and pulling back some of the glued carpet along the transom.  Continuously drying the bilge with towels will likely help narrow down where the leak is coming from.

Edited by csleaver

Thanks to all of you. I’m still trying to figure out if water in the center compartment (under the deck hatch) is related to the water in the bilge