Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Response LX- won’t run with No spark

A short version of a long story. Had an impeller failure and the boat overheated but was only run hot for about one minute. It was started intermittently as we got back to the boat launch 200 m away. While I was waiting for a new impeller I decided to change the steering cable. So I had the boat torn apart to do that. When I had finished doing that job and went to start the boat it wouldn’t start. I checked gas flow and the Schrader valve had pressurized gas at that point. The fuel pump is coming on. I checked for a airlock in the fuel line and it is good. I removed a spark plug and it appears there is no spark. I checked for power at the coil and it does appear that there is power coming to the coil. I wasn’t able to get any spark from the coil to distributor cable. I removed the distributor cap and there is definitely some condensation and build up on the electrical attachments. I am worried it may be the electrical module attached on the base of the distributor that is causing the problems. I’ve never replaced the distributor or coil in this boat. I am wondering if there is something else I should be looking at? I double checked the Killswitch and it is in the run position. I am not sure if we have knocked off some wires or done some damage when we were running the steering cable.I am thinking about just replacing the coil and distributor and ruling those things out.The distributor especially needs to be replaced.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Grant

Hi Roff

Is there a special part number for the ICM or can I just get one for a mid 90’s chev 5.7 litre?

thanks

Grant

2 hours ago, GrantNixon said:

Hi Roff

Is there a special part number for the ICM or can I just get one for a mid 90’s chev 5.7 litre?

thanks

Grant

Nothing special.  Be sure to use plenty of thermal grease when you install it. 

Check the kill switch by the throttle control.  Might have been popped with all work you were doing around the helm.

formulaben
On 6/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, GrantNixon said:

I’ve never replaced the distributor or coil in this boat. I am wondering if there is something else I should be looking at? I double checked the Killswitch and it is in the run position. I am not sure if we have knocked off some wires or done some damage when we were running the steering cable.I am thinking about just replacing the coil and distributor and ruling those things out.The distributor especially needs to be replaced.

Do you mean distributor cap, or the entire distributor?

I would immediately replace cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, and coil before you continue with any other troubleshooting.  All of these are fairly inexpensive and it sounds like they are all well past due anyhow. 

13 hours ago, justgary said:

Nothing special.  Be sure to use plenty of thermal grease when you install it. 

This.