Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aluminum Gas Tank Repair

Posted (edited)

Howdy Gang! I had my '87 Sunsetter in the shop for the entire summer of 2019 getting new, well, almost everything. While doing the stringer/floor repair and upholstery, they pulled and drained the 30 yo fuel tank... sitting empty apparently was all it needed to corrode on the inside which gave us running issues (fuel starvation from a clogged fuel/water separator) and led to the boat sitting in storage last season.

Looked into a new poly tank, none will fit... and having a new aluminum tank custom made, pushing $1000 and long lead times.

So, I've decided to try and treat the tank to repair it and get our gal back on the water. Looking at the KBS Coatings system https://www.kbs-coatings.com/kbs-tank-sealer-system.html

Anybody have experience with this process? Any tips, tricks or warnings much appreciated.

Edited by snydco
granddaddy55
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, snydco said:

Howdy Gang! I had my '87 Sunsetter in the shop for the entire summer of 2019 getting new, well, almost everything. While doing the stringer/floor repair and upholstery, they pulled and drained the 30 yo fuel tank... sitting empty apparently was all it needed to corrode on the inside which gave us running issues (fuel starvation from a clogged fuel/water separator) and led to the boat sitting in storage last season.

Looked into a new poly tank, none will fit... and having a new aluminum tank custom made, pushing $1000 and long lead times.

So, I've decided to try and treat the tank to repair it and get our gal back on the water. Looking at the KBS Coatings system https://www.kbs-coatings.com/kbs-tank-sealer-system.html

Anybody have experience with this process? Any tips, tricks or warnings much appreciated.

acid for inside snd then make sure you turn it to all six sides for a period of time for the first week, its the rotation to a new side that evenly spreads the cream and Additional dry time more than you might want to wait

Edited by granddaddy55
Posted (edited)

Moeller will make a custom size IIRC.  Fuel safe makes custom fuel bladders, others do same.  Your suggestion appears to be the most economical option, should work as long as material is truly inert to being in contact with fuel.

I would hit some vintage boat sites and see what is the recommended solution, betting not unique to that group.

Edited by Woodski

Alright, so I picked up the KBS three-part kit. Its a degreaser, acid etcher (phosphoric) and a coating... so far, in the middle of the de-greasing process, the tank is looking pristine and new with the built-up varnish gone.

Peeking inside the fuel level sending unit hole, you can see the fuel pick-up tube... its aluminum and I feel like it should come out before I attempt to coat the tank so that it does not get clogged with coating. Anybody have experience with either removing the pickup tube or doing a tank coating while its in there? It appears to be press fit into the threaded bung that is welded into the top of the tank. In the photos, the shot of the inside of the tank is showing where the tube meets the tank bottom.

87_sunsetter_fueltank_bung.jpg

87_sunsetter_fueltank_pickup.jpg

I would just plug the tube at the top and perform the coating process.  After each step, I would blow gently into the tube to clear any liquid that got into it before it gets a chance to set. 

Alternatively, insert a plastic rod or tube that just fits the inside, then make sure that you keep it moving slightly up and down after each step so you can pull it out after you are done.

• snydco changed the title to Aluminum Gas Tank Repair