Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 A20 conversion for Brackish

Hey guys. Im having to prep my A20 for use in brackish water. Anyone that has a salt series provide some input on where to install the anodes etc? Any help/direction would be grateful. I've searched the web/forums for pics and have come up empty handed. 

Thanks.

Edited by Koyote
Spelling

my brack this time of year with the rain and high rivers like our Mississippi is 99.9 fresh, it took 6 near and 1 direct hit tropical storms to make our water salty enough to leave a film on boat when wiped down with the water we are in.  that was November.  if your really near coast of a gulf or ocean then maybe.  

@justgary i think is your salt guy

you do have to worry about trailers in our waters when not galvanized like my painted tandem 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:35 AM, Koyote said:

Hey guys. Im having to prep my A20 for use in brackish water. Anyone that has a salt series provide some input on where to install the anodes etc? Any help/direction would be grateful. I've searched the web/forums for pics and have come up empty handed. 

Thanks.

The biggest step, in my opinion, would be a heat exchanger to get half closed cooling.  I expect that you have a lot more room available to add it, but you didn't specify which engine you have, so only you know what will fit.  The exchanger should come with a replaceable anode in it.  I have an egg anode on my prop shaft, but I'm thinking about removing it because it doesn't really show any deterioration.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

The biggest step, in my opinion, would be a heat exchanger to get half closed cooling.  I expect that you have a lot more room available to add it, but you didn't specify which engine you have, so only you know what will fit.  The exchanger should come with a replaceable anode in it.  I have an egg anode on my prop shaft, but I'm thinking about removing it because it doesn't really show any deterioration.

Thanks for the feedback. Its a new M5di so I believe the cooling is closed. That being said, I figure a prop shaft and a transom anode will be the best places to start. Im curious if there are any other spots in could install. 

On 6/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Koyote said:

Thanks for the feedback. Its a new M5di so I believe the cooling is closed. That being said, I figure a prop shaft and a transom anode will be the best places to start. Im curious if there are any other spots in could install. 

are you launching ? trailer is your REAL problem

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Koyote said:

Luckily no, its on a lift. 

as @justgary said his exchanger has an anode, keep up with that snd flush hull, engine, and ballast and bilge with fresh water each week and i bet your good to go,  our brack was totally fresh after high spring Mississippi river and heavy spring rain,  after recent tropical storm   a few weeks ago our salt came in and cleared my fav spot the bonnet carre spillway to a nice clear green, BUT it doesn't even leave a film when wiping down at launch with same water   

do a hydrometer test and i bet you will be surprised how little salt ,  now if your talking upper Chesapeake bay MD, then i bet your salt is higher 

6 hours ago, csleaver said:

I often see alot of corrosion on the wedge and surf gate actuators in salt or brackish.  Bonding those would probably be a good idea.

As would completely coating them in LPS-3.  I see no reason to have any sort of actuator in any water without putting a good coat over it and keeping it touched up.  Ugly, yes, but very effective.

On 6/30/2021 at 5:34 PM, justgary said:

As would completely coating them in LPS-3.  I see no reason to have any sort of actuator in any water without putting a good coat over it and keeping it touched up.  Ugly, yes, but very effective.

I've coated everything with a can of wd40 anti corrosion. I also have some LPS-3. I'll start using that as well. 

On 6/6/2021 at 5:08 PM, justgary said:

Thanks again. Im gonna dig in and locate the anode. Wish me luck 🤙🏽