Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fried my v-drive

On the water last night when the boat stopped running. Looks like all the fluid leaked our of the v-drive and it got so hot the dip stick melted into a dripping plastic mess.. motor and trans are cool and fine. It looks like the only place that fluid could leak is at the shaft so I'm thinking shaft seal? The v-drive is probably toast but I'm trying to think positive because I don't think finding a new unit is an option right now. Just looking for some feedback before I decide of its worth pulling it out myself or wait for a replacement (could be a long wait) 

V-drive drain plug came loose. found it in the bottom of the boat. filled with fluid and heading to the water to see if it will go into gear. probably trashed it but gotta try.

Sorry to hear.  @maliburyan  posted early this week looking for a drive himself for a 2012 and I have not seen any responses.  Here is the link:

Sounds like you might have burnt it up but at this point I would get a new dipstick, fill it with oil and find out where the leak is.  Then I would pull it if you are mechanically inclined while looking for a new one.  How many hours are on the boat? Curious as I have a 2011 VLX and have had no issues so far.  I am at 275 hours right now.

On 5/23/2021 at 2:14 PM, Steve B. said:

For it to shut the engine off while up to speed I have a feeling it's something electronic or maybe (fuel pump).

My thinking is it's running rough enough that the tranny is getting shook good. But with that said, ha, check the water inlet to the tranny cooler to make sure it isn't over heating. Good luck,

Steve B.

34 minutes ago, JLT3 said:

Sorry to hear.  @maliburyan  posted early this week looking for a drive himself for a 2012 and I have not seen any responses.  Here is the link:

Sounds like you might have burnt it up but at this point I would get a new dipstick, fill it with oil and find out where the leak is.  Then I would pull it if you are mechanically inclined while looking for a new one.  How many hours are on the boat? Curious as I have a 2011 VLX and have had no issues so far.  I am at 275 hours right now.

Thanks for tagging me. I am still trying to dig into it. It's at a marina right now. Fluid was on bottom of the boat, it was good fluid and not burnt up at all, so it wasn't over heating. Small metal shavings on the vdrive dipstick. I found a re-manned unit at indmar and it's on its way as we speak. Mine only has 280 hours and just doesn't make any sense at all.

My 2011 has 580 hours and was working perfectly until the drain plug came loose. I have a new unit on order and we should be back on the water by July 4th. Its a good thing I have friends with boats.