Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A24 wave setup help

matt74

We finally got our first wake boat. It's a 2015 A-24 and to my surprise it only has 400# sacs in the rear lockers😳. I called wakemakers and they suggested 550# in the rears. This still seems too small after I read about everyone  running  750#, 850# and even 1000# in the rear.  I have the 350 motor so don't strain it too much but I want a great wave.  What rear bags should I order and where to get them? Also do I need any lead?

Thanks

I don't have much time behind an A24 but If it were me I would go with the Wakemakers exact fit 865# bags and probably buy some lead for the bow too. 

I had an A22 2015. We had 750s in the rear lockers. 950 horseshoe in the bow. Probly could have used 900s in the lockers. We also put a 540 on the floor midship. Think there had 800 hards. So about 3800 or so. Def go bigger on the rears. If the rear is down a little with your 1000s, you can balance it out with the bow sack. Don't worry about storage space you will figure a way to stow everything. 

I called a couple axis dealers in my area today. One said the 350 engine was too small to add extra weight and the other said that the sub floor wasn't designed to hold that much wight and the hull changed in 2016 to be able hold more weight. 

4 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

I had an A22 2015. We had 750s in the rear lockers. 950 horseshoe in the bow. Probly could have used 900s in the lockers. We also put a 540 on the floor midship. Think there had 800 hards. So about 3800 or so. Def go bigger on the rears. If the rear is down a little with your 1000s, you can balance it out with the bow sack. Don't worry about storage space you will figure a way to stow everything. 

What engine did you have?

I just sold my Axis T23 2015. We had large bags in the rear. Don't remember size but were at least 750 each and we filled them full when surfing and used manual wedge. The 350 did fine. The issue is balancing the weight. We added a 650 triangle bag on top of bow seats as well as the standard pnp bag below the bow seats.

I have your same boat. Currently running the 750 in the rear lockers and I believe it’s a 650 horseshoe bag under the front seats. 
wave is perfect! Motor pulls just fine. 
My opinion is to just run the 750. Currently with the 750’s when full it does put some pressure on the engine dividers. The bigger you go the more pressure you will put in the divider and I know people that have blew the divider apart. It will require you to beef it up to support the added stress pushing against it. 

On 6/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, matt74 said:

What engine did you have?

We had the 350 with the torque prop IIRC. Had plenty of motor for surfing. We didn't wakeboard. With no load it would go 33mph I think.

I've got a 14 a24 and we have 1100s in both rear lockers. my suggestion would be to get bigger bags for the lockers then take one of the smaller bags you have and put them under the seat on the surf side. That boat will put out an amazing wave when dialed in. In my experience to get a good push you need a lot of weight in the back and on the side you are surfing. The other option, which I prefer, is to invite a huge crowd whenever you hit the lake. If I have a big crowd; I fill all the bags, but don't use the extra bag under the seats on the surf side. I should also note we have the 410, but for surfing I think the 350 should be fine.