Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extended Warranty?

Jimmy Buffett

Picking up a 2021 23LSV tomorrow, and the dealer is offering an extended warranty.  Extends the 5 yrs Malibu warranty to 8 yrs, and covers everything on the boat, for about $3,500.  I'm most concerned about the technology failing.  Take it or leave it??

Yeah, that's my debate.  I had a 2001 Sunsetter LXi for 16 years until 2017.  But since then I've had a Nautique and a Mastercraft, and now I'm coming back to the Malibu.   So I'm hoping this is another long-term deal but with my recent history, who knows?  

I usually don't but given the complexity and operating environment I did.  We hope to keep the boat that long but is not a sure thing.  Given the overall cost of the boat it is not a big hit.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Buffett said:

Picking up a 2021 23LSV tomorrow, and the dealer is offering an extended warranty.  Extends the 5 yrs Malibu warranty to 8 yrs, and covers everything on the boat, for about $3,500.  I'm most concerned about the technology failing.  Take it or leave it??

Is the extended warranty transferable? If so, you’ll make that back easily in the sale even if you keep the boat for 3-5 years. 

• Like 2

New 2019 LSV picked it up in April of that year.  New main screen less than a year later due to bubbles. It was under warranty thank god! I haven’t heard of anyone else having issues on their ‘19, so maybe a fluke. After reading on here about the Greek tragedy of screen delamination issues on some MY boats and the current and potential COVID induced drama associated with the build process for new boats, I know I wouldn’t want to be the main character in a future post. IIWM, I would jump on it. JM2C

ahopkins22LSV

I’d ask if the warranty is available for purchase later on in ownership. I’d guess it is or something similar but what’s the cost, coverage, etc. that way if you decide to keep it you can just extend it as the oem warranty is running out. 

Does Malibu offer an extended warranty?  Anyone know?  I've generally bought the warranty on my exotic cars and found they pay off.  I'd assume the boat one will too.  Like previous post said, if it's transferrable or refundable like the car warrantys, I don't think there's much to lose, as long as warranty comes from a financially sound company.  Also, worth looking at exclusions on warranty before jumping on it.  One one of my cars specific items were excluded related to electronics, still took the warranty because the manufacturer isn't known for reliability and it was from the factory.

20 hours ago, John I. said:

Is the extended warranty through Malibu or a third party?  If a third party, how confident are you that it will be around in 8 years?

This.  3rd party - no thanks.  Through Bu - yes.  

On 6/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

3rd party - no thanks.  Through Bu - yes. 

And ensure that it is transferable, in case you get that itch.

If I were looking at 2 identical 4 year old boats for sale, I would absolutely pay the additional $3,500+transfer cost for the one with 4 more years of warranty. 

2 hours ago, BigCreek said:

If I were looking at 2 identical 4 year old boats for sale, I would absolutely pay the additional $3,500+transfer cost for the one with 4 more years of warranty. 

You might but most buyers are just watching price so this boat would be listed higher than the rest.  I've sold my share of boats, trucks, campers etc. and most of these buyers just compare price to price or believe all 2020 23LSVs cost the exact same.  Those that are educated enough to understand the options on these boats can greatly tip the scales one way or another are few and far between.  

Edited by wedge88