Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VLX w/ Illusion XS Tower - what tower speakers actually fit?

mxr181

Have done some searching and haven't been able to confirm:

I bought a 2009 VLX this spring and it has the Illusion XS tower...currently has (4) 6.5" tower speakers but 2 of them are blown and I purchased some 8" RF speakers planning to buy some 8" cans to mount them to...on a bit of a budget and these speakers sound great on my buddy's boat.  Problem I am running into is there are only a couple options for blank tower speaker cans and unfortunately they don't think the mounts for the older Illusion X tower are the same as the Illusion XS tower and it seems that most vendors dont really support the XS since it was only offered for a couple years.

Can anyone confirm for sure if the tower mounting pattern is the same or different from the Illusion x?  Anybody know of 8" speaker cans other than Krypt or Rockville?  Both are currently out of stock.

Thank you @MLA for the response...I pulled an existing can off and the mounting holes are 2.5” center to center and the wiring hole is 1” from the rear mounting hole center to center.  Now just need to confirm if the Illusion X is the same

• 1 month later...

Has there been any further discovery on this? I recently purchased the Krypt cans for the X tower and are going to try to mount them this weekend (finger crossed). I will let you know how it works on my Illusion XS tower. I have been struggling to fins any details on this as well. 

See the post above with the measurements I took when I removed a speaker off my Illusion XS and compare to your Krypt cans...I think the mounting holes are the same, not sure if the wiring hole is centered or offset like my tower was but hopefully you can just redrill the wiring hole if needed.  Good luck and please let me know if they work out!