Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floor Panel -'04 Sunscape 21 LSV

I'd like to replace my floor panel in my '04 Sunscape 21 LSV.

A couple quick questions/comments:

-Local Dealer (Minnesota Inboard) says I might be able to get one made from Malibu (they are looking into this for me). FWIW, mine is about 29" x 38" x 1-1/4" thick.

-This material can also be found, online, correct? Does anyone have a link for this? 

-Can I cut this material with a table saw, wrap with carpet and build myself?   

Thanks in advance for any insight, it's been a few years since I've been on here. 

Edited by Arctic Slalom
18 hours ago, Arctic Slalom said:

I'd like to replace my floor panel in my '04 Sunscape 21 LSV.

A couple quick questions/comments:

-Local Dealer (Minnesota Inboard) says I might be able to get one made from Malibu (they are looking into this for me). FWIW, mine is about 29" x 38" x 1-1/4" thick.

-This material can also be found, online, correct? Does anyone have a link for this? 

-Can I cut this material with a table saw, wrap with carpet and build myself?   

Thanks in advance for any insight, it's been a few years since I've been on here. 

If you are the original owner of the boat, Malibu should fix it under your hull warranty.  @filftwalton got his replaced a few years ago.

I think they used aluminum honeycomb panel back then, but I didn't think it was that thick.

formulaben

My 2002 was 1" exactly.  That honeycomb aluminum panel is surprisingly strong, but not quite strong enough for the application.  Mine had plenty of dents and failure points of the honeycomb structure.

Mine was an aluminum honeycomb.  I'd stick with HDPE if I had to do it, perhaps with a couple right angle or square tube pieces to strengthen it 1/3 or mid span if they will fit.

Mine was pretty trashed. I replaced with 1” Coosa board and reinforced with the trimmed down honeycomb piece.   It’s light (don’t care ) and strong but the sharp edges suck and they are easy to crush.    Pretty much only good with carpet.  

10 hours ago, ROFF said:

Mine was pretty trashed. I replaced with 1” Coosa board and reinforced with the trimmed down honeycomb piece.   It’s light (don’t care ) and strong but the sharp edges suck and they are easy to crush.    Pretty much only good with carpet.  

Are you saying the 1" thick Coosa board can be crushed at the edges? I'm leaning towards Coosa Board but also looking at King Starboard material or a PVC panel product. I don't think I have extra room for reinforcement below as the panel rest (very closely) on the top of the gas tank. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I plan to order in the next day or two. thanks! 

58 minutes ago, Arctic Slalom said:

Are you saying the 1" thick Coosa board can be crushed at the edges?

I think he's talking the edges of the honeycomb, as that's exactly what happened to mine.

Yea.   The honeycomb gets pretty beat up.    I chose to recycle my panel  to reinforce the Coosa but you can also glass the coosa to make it much stronger if you need the room.