Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manual wedge vs floating wedge?


Recommended Posts

CoachFurb

I have a 1997 Malibu Response LX with Monsoon engine used only for skiing up until now. I am trying to figure out how to setup the boat for wakes suitable for surfing. Ballast bags? Wake shapers? Wedge?

What is the best approach?

What is the difference between a "manual wedge" and a "floating wedge"?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

 

Link to post

Well, surfing a Response is like the old saw about a singing dog:  the miracle is not that it does it well, but that it does it at all.  You need (IME) a Wedge, bow weight, lots of fat sacs, and something to stop water from coming in the gas filler (BTDT).  I do not know if there is a commercial wake shaper that will fit the hull due to limited contact patch.

Link to post
CoachFurb

Thanks so much for your reply. Yep, I agree, its going to be a challenge but a $2k investment beats a $200K new boat. There seems to be 2 wake shapers that might work. 1) SWELL Wakesurf Creator Slim H3X or 2) Liquid Force WAKESURF EDGE
PRO INLINE SHAPE. Both have smaller suction cups, 3"or 2" respectively. I hope they will fit but I won't know until I get back to my boat and measure. Ballast sacs, yes, that is pretty straight forward. I think the real question is the wedge. If I can find one, is it worth the trouble and expense to install? Before I can answer that question I need to know what I'm looking for.  What do I ask for? What is "IME Wedge"? sorry for what might be a stupid question. 

Link to post
21 minutes ago, CoachFurb said:

If I can find one, is it worth the trouble and expense to install? Before I can answer that question I need to know what I'm looking for.  What do I ask for? What is "IME Wedge"? sorry for what might be a stupid question. 

IME - In My Experience.  We've successfully surfed my 160 lb kid on the RLX - I've posted the pic before,  The biggest issue is water in the tank on the starboard side.  Ugh. 

As for the Wedge, IME  <grin>, yes - you need it.  There is one for sale on the classifieds for $400.  I'd grab it ASAP.

Link to post
CoachFurb

How is water getting in the gas tank? the fill cap has an rubber o ring seal and is screwed down tight. Is water coming in through the vent hole on the transom?

Again, thanks for responding !!!!!

 

Link to post
21 minutes ago, CoachFurb said:

How is water getting in the gas tank? the fill cap has an rubber o ring seal and is screwed down tight. Is water coming in through the vent hole on the transom?

Again, thanks for responding !!!!!

 

BTFOOM.  I duct taped the heck out of the cap and the vent, and water still got in.  Thaks to SeaFoam for resolving.  The port side surfers did not create this issue.

Link to post
On 6/2/2021 at 12:18 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

You need (IME) a Wedge, bow weight, lots of fat sacs, and something to stop water from coming in the gas filler (BTDT).

You forgot the part about needing a really good driver to keep from sinking the boat.  It will be crazy easy to chili dip the bow and take on a few hundred gallons of water by making the wrong move at the right time.

Link to post
9 hours ago, justgary said:

You forgot the part about needing a really good driver to keep from sinking the boat.  It will be crazy easy to chili dip the bow and take on a few hundred gallons of water by making the wrong move at the right time.

My better half is an awesome driver.  We use the tonneau on the open bow when surfing.  The real issue has always been the water ingress into the fuel system.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...