Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 23 lsv surf set up

Chadg34

I have searched here and found various surf set ups but feel the regular wave is not good on my 2019 23 lsv. I came from a 16 23 lsv and the regular wave was unreal. Goofy is great on both. 

I currently have the same set up as the 16 with 500 lbs of lead. The wave seems low and not much push. My wife finds herself working very hard to ride back a bit, tougher than the 16. 

I have a pic of the bags. These seem smaller than our 16. By the markings does anyone know the size of these?  I can’t seem to attach the pics. 
it says fat sac. The original ballast bags and crafted in millwaukee. 

Edited by Chadg34

They very well could be smaller bags. I had 550’s in my boat when I demo’d it but now have 400’s in the boat. Too much back weight and the gates go under and wash out the wave. I would check that the gates are above water when underway and go from there. 

Your hull may be different than mine, but I think you need more weight.  On my 15 I have all factory full, 750's in rear piggyback, 400 in coffin, and another 400 bag in walk through.  11.1 mph, adjust the wedge for however steep you want it.  

I am running the 2773 prop 15x13, 11 mph full MLS with pnp. I have the dealer sold pnp which are 570s in my ‘19 and have been running them between 100 and 75% and have been leaning toward staying at 75%. I normally run an 850 sumo in the bow to lengthen the wave with just the wife and I which is the majority of the time. For a quick week day surf session we normally don’t run the bow ballast and don’t have any problems. Seeing @ 3800 rpm with this set up normally.

1 hour ago, TURNITRED said:

Your hull may be different than mine, but I think you need more weight.  On my 15 I have all factory full, 750's in rear piggyback, 400 in coffin, and another 400 bag in walk through.  11.1 mph, adjust the wedge for however steep you want it.  

@TURNITREDwhat prop are you running in this set up?  I'm also trying to dial in my surf wake on my 2015 LSV.

Thanks

I believe you've already seen this but here's the setup that worked for me on the 2019 23 LSV. I tweaked it later on with more wedge and adding a little more speed but the basic ballast setup didn't change. You've got to give the regular side some help by weighting the boat towards that side to get a better wave. Otherwise you're fighting the prop rotation and torque that favor the goofy side wave.

Thanks nwbu. I tried those settings and it does not look like that. I was told multiple times the diamond wake won’t affect the surf wave. My 2019 is a diamond wake. Is that my issue?

31 minutes ago, Chadg34 said:

Thanks nwbu. I tried those settings and it does not look like that. I was told multiple times the diamond wake won’t affect the surf wave. My 2019 is a diamond wake. Is that my issue?

I don't think the diamond hull would have much impact on the surf wave.  Do you have any photo's of your wave?

15 minutes ago, Chadg34 said:

It shouldn't impact the surf wave since you're not going fast enough at surf speeds for the diamond hull downward shape to generate much extra lift.

If the goofy wave is great but the port/regular side wave is low, your basic weighting and speed setup may be fine but there still needs to be some weight shifted to the port side to help level, or even slightly list the boat. Leaning a boat on it's side was all we had not long ago to create surf waves, so applying the same approach helps any of the current gen boats too. Dump your starboard rear tanks to 50% and fill the port side to 100%.

A stock 2018-2020 23 LSV needs right around 400lbs of rear PNP and no extra bow weight to create a solid wave. Much more PNP or max wedge then requires 200-300 lbs of extra bow weight to compensate. At the risk of introducing too many variables, if all 500 lbs of lead are in the bow area, bring back 200 lbs to midship and see how that changes things.

You can also slow down to steepen a wave. Just change one thing at a time though so you can see how each impacts the wave, before adding in another change.

• Like 1