Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dash on early 90s Malibus

cugrad90

I've got a '92 Mystere that is still my pride and joy.  But one of the common issues with these older Malibus is the plastic/rubber dash face deteriorating. 

Years ago I remember reading, maybe on here, of someone who had made a dash mold and fabricated an aluminum replacement.

In the off chance that genius is on here, or anyone else has discovered a remedy for this issue, I'd love to hear of any fix I can make for this.

TIA

There are literally dozens of places that will make you a custom dash based on your existing one.  Carbon fiber, woodgrain, aluminum etc. Or take your existing dash to a decent plastics shop and get one from ABS.

@cugrad90-  Those of us that made new dash’s, myself being one, the part we replaced is the aluminum section that contained the gauges.  The plastic cover / hood / pod was not part of those projects.  You are correct, the plastic used is not the quality one would hope for.  My attachment points have failed and to fix I have done a few things.  1.  Installed rivnuts to replace the originals,  2. Next used rivnuts that have tabs on them to span a greater distance,  3. Glued little wood blocks to the pod as a firm flat surface.