Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with an EV

Eagleboy99

50 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

If all cars were electric ... and were caught up in a three hour traffic jam .. result .. dead batteries!  Then what?

Well, it isn't like the electric car is going to sit there and idle.  It will sit politely for quite a long time at very low current draw on the batteries.  Running the heater is a choice you make.  So is putting blankets and emergency supplies in your car during the winter.

I have never been in a winter time traffic snarl (oh, the virtues of living south of I-10), but if I were, I would stay conscious of energy remaining in my gas tank or my batteries and use them wisely.  I wouldn't want to run out of gas any more than I would want to run out of battery power.

As for the south, if you live here you know what oppressive heat is and you deal with it every day anyway.  If you aren't from the south, drive nicely and don't cause any pileups while you are visiting.  Primarily, that means quit camping out in the left lane and let others pass you if they care to.

• Like 2
On 6/4/2021 at 5:49 PM, shawndoggy said:

dang our 2006 QX56 woulda needed three fillups to tow 470 miles confidently.  Ask @IXFE how far you can tow a 25LSV with a yukon.

That 600 mile range on my pickup sure is nice (not towing)

30 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That 600 mile range on my pickup sure is nice (not towing)

agreed!  If I only stopped when my f150 needed gas I'd need adult diapers for sure.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Well, it isn't like the electric car is going to sit there and idle.  It will sit politely for quite a long time at very low current draw on the batteries.  Running the heater is a choice you make.  So is putting blankets and emergency supplies in your car during the winter.

I have never been in a winter time traffic snarl (oh, the virtues of living south of I-10), but if I were, I would stay conscious of energy remaining in my gas tank or my batteries and use them wisely.  I wouldn't want to run out of gas any more than I would want to run out of battery power.

As for the south, if you live here you know what oppressive heat is and you deal with it every day anyway.  If you aren't from the south, drive nicely and don't cause any pileups while you are visiting.  Primarily, that means quit camping out in the left lane and let others pass you if they care to.

Are we talking about the same clueless Americans? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Are we talking about the same clueless Americans? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣🤣

Doh!  Yup, sorry.

One good thing about an EV in a snow storm is that the exhaust won't kill you when you use the heater.

• Like 1