Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with an EV

Eagleboy99

3 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I never said my EV goes 300 miles in the winter. 

My EV goes 200-250mi in the winter. That would mean that a 300 mile trip would require a charge, which would take about 15-30 mins. Hence what I said...not that big a deal.

if you are just opposed to EV regardless of any information, it would be easier if you just said so.

I am absolutely not opposed to EVs.  But for towing, winter use, or long distance they are simply not ready.  A PHEV (or that Chryco hybrid) is way better.

8 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Sorry - which EV do you have?

Tesla model 3 performance long range. I’ve done a lot of 400+mile trips in all weather. Enough that I can’t remember how many.

11 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I am absolutely not opposed to EVs.  But for towing, winter use, or long distance they are simply not ready.  A PHEV (or that Chryco hybrid) is way better.

This is a misguided response from someone who has not owned an ev. As an owner of a Tesla model Y who lives in Michigan. Range during the winter is not an issue (>200 miles). Neither is long distance. We recently took a 3k mile trip with no issues. During our trip we averaged around 100 miles or so fewer per day than an ICE. In regards to towing, I agree they are not great for towing long distances. As a former owner of a hybrid (Volt), I’d also argue against that point they they are in anyway better. 

37 minutes ago, Wolflake said:

This is a misguided response from someone who has not owned an ev. As an owner of a Tesla model Y who lives in Michigan. Range during the winter is not an issue (>200 miles). Neither is long distance. We recently took a 3k mile trip with no issues. During our trip we averaged around 100 miles or so fewer per day than an ICE. In regards to towing, I agree they are not great for towing long distances. As a former owner of a hybrid (Volt), I’d also argue against that point they they are in anyway better. 

How many times per day on your 3k mile road trip did you have to stop somewhere to charge your car? And how long on average did you wait to charge your car at each stop?

Edited by jaciche
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, braindamage said:

Tesla model 3 performance long range. I’ve done a lot of 400+mile trips in all weather. Enough that I can’t remember how many.

Winter?  Or towing??

26 minutes ago, jaciche said:

How many times per day on your 3k mile road trip did you have to stop somewhere to charge your car? And how long on average did you wait to charge your car at each stop?

I just did a 540 km trip.  5 hours and change.  No stops.  8.3 l/100

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

You obviously don't spend any time in the tow vehicle threads, or on Facebook for that matter.  Faster speed always yields better MPG.  Just like adding a lift, mud tires, and deleting your diesel.  From what I read, you should get 20 MPG towing when you do all that...... ;)

and you don't even know it's back there...

27 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Wow that’s just amazing! Do you want a prize 🤣. I bet your wife (maybe husband) is proud of you! With your knowledge of all things, I bet any companion who rides along with you would love a little extra time in the vehicle with you. Good thing you drive slow! 

1 hour ago, jaciche said:

Good question, so we drove about 900 miles a day for 3 days. We chose hotels with charging options available so every morning we would have a full charge of aprx 280 miles. We would stop 2-3 times per day. The first stop being a shorter one (~15–20 mins) the second stop we would eat lunch or dinner and the car would be fully charged prior to being finished eating.

Edited by Wolflake
Clarity
12 minutes ago, Murphys said:

Why is the EV range lower in winter? Is it due to the cold air being more dense than warm air, or something else?

Density of air and usage of electricity for heat (inefficient) are two primary reasons.

6 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Drag goes up as the cube of windspeed....

No, the square of windspeed.  Fd is the drag force, rho is the mass density of air, v is velocity, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area.

spacer.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wolflake said:

Density of air and usage of electricity for heat (inefficient) are two primary reasons.

Don't forget that the batteries hold less charge when they are cold.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I don't have to stop either, especially since I started catheterizing everybody in the truck and running the drip lines out to the roadway... crazy how far this thing goes.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, RyanB said:

You obviously don't spend any time in the tow vehicle threads, or on Facebook for that matter.  Faster speed always yields better MPG.  Just like adding a lift, mud tires, and deleting your diesel.  From what I read, you should get 20 MPG towing when you do all that...... ;)

and don’t forget net HP gains folding tow mirrors out 😏🤣

Edited by spikew919
2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Winter?  Or towing??

Dude...it’s a Tesla model 3. There is no towing.

And yes, when I said “all weather”, that includes winter.

Edited by braindamage

Speaking pure efficiency electric is more efficient then diesel, which is more efficient than petrol. Less energy wasted as heat.

It's obvious to most people EV's are the future for transport, with some early adopters having them already. It's currently a bit like the early cars of horse vs cars. Many said cars will never catch on, horses will forever be main form of transport.  Once the rate of battery charge and amount of charge is cracked there will be little reason to continue with ICE, apart from highly enjoyable V8 noise of course! :) 

-----------------

Most electric motors are designed to run at 50% to 100% of rated load. Maximum efficiency is usually near 75% of rated load. Thus, a 10-horsepower (hp) motor has an acceptable load range of 5 to 10 hp; peak efficiency is at 7.5 hp. A motor's efficiency tends to decrease dramatically below about 50% load. Source https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/04/f15/10097517.pdf 

Electric motors are much more efficient than the other prime mover used in industry and transportation, the internal combustion engine (ICE); electric motors are typically over 95% efficient while ICEs are well below 50%. Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor 

Modern passenger car diesel engines may have an effective efficiency of up to 43%, whilst engines in large diesel trucks, and buses can achieve peak efficiencies around 45%.  Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine#:~:text=Modern passenger car diesel engines,is lower than peak efficiency. 

13 minutes ago, uk_exile said:

Many said cars will never catch on, horses will forever be main form of transport.

Ask cowboys why they don't use EVs to herd cattle or horses.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

I don't have to stop either, especially since I started catheterizing everybody in the truck and running the drip lines out to the roadway... crazy how far this thing goes.

spacer.png

Push the reset button and come back, OK?