Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge

Hello, just launched my lsv 23 this weekend and had a blast surfing with it. My only issue was that when I selected 5 or 6 on the power wedge, I would lose power to the engine and the wave would wash out.  This did not matter if I set the speed or used the throttle. 
I had no uses when I selected lift,1,2,3 or 4. The wave was perfect and I could adjust speed. 

Only became a problem when I selected 5 or 6. 
thoughts??

Good question. I have not tried position 5 and 6 with the ballast Empty.  will certainly try that next time. I am new to all this.  Not sure on prop size. I will ask my dealer. 

do you typically fill all your ballast?

Probably the most likely reason that you are having problems it that you have too much weight in the stern. This brings the bow up which would decrease the efficiency of the prop due to the prop angle. The boat is trying to move skyward and not forward which would make it feel like you are loosing power. With my current set up “surfing” I can run my M5 with 850 lbs of bow weight with max wedge, it will do it but  the rpms will go up @ 300 rpm.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

To be completely honest, in every boat I’ve ever surfed from a 20’ vtx to a M235, I have never used past wedge 4. The wave gets too steep, too short and typically washes out. I would suggest trialing setting with weight, speed and wedge between 2&3. @NWBU has the perfect recipe for the 23 lsv in my opinion. 

WDR is right and your boat sounds like it's out of balance, with too much rear weight bias. I'm guessing you have a 2021 but regardless of year we generally can't fill all ballast/PNP and use wedge 5-6 without adding some bow weight. People or extra ballast work for that.

Try dropping to somewhere around 75% in the rears and play with the wedge some more. When you have too much rear weight and/or downforce from the wedge, you'll see a lot of wash spilling onto the face of the wave. I'm still playing with my 2021 setup but I'm using the basics from my 2019 setup.

You're looking for a clean wave face like in the picture below. If white froth is spilling over the wave face, that's a sign the boat is too transom heavy for the speed it's set at.

Another trick is to launch with the wedge in lift and then click in the desired wedge as you get up to speed.

• Like 2

I apprieciate all the tips.  will try and play around with the rear ballast.  With all tanks 100% and cruising around 10.9 , I am getting great waves with the 1-4 setting on the power wedge.