Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Escape wedge question

bandStrider

Hello,

Sold my 91 mystery and bought a 2000 Escape LSV. Came with a wedge bracket and a friend had a spare foil. When I put it on, there was no clearance between the rudder and  foil, instead of the 2 or so inches you normally see. My question is, did the older boats use a different foil with different arms? Trying to figure out my next step here. 

20210531_155556.jpg

20210531_155409.jpg

On the 2000-2003 23 LSV, there is a different wedge.  It is a flat wedge and the foil sits back further, meaning the bolt holes are further forward.  I can't seem to find a picture of the stock wedge on my boat.

This is interesting as I always thought the reason for the different was so the foil wouldn't drag on the water at speeds, but this shows it was due to interference with the rudder. 

I would give Bakes Marine a call.  If they can locate that wedge foil, you should be able to just bolt on a new foil and use your existing arms.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. This is what I suspected. The flat foils will also make the point of contact lower down on the rudder where it is further from the rudder due to the angle on the rudder. Now to decide whether to just put a metal Shim behind the mounting plate, drill some new holes in the existing foil to move it back, or look for a flat foil. Decisions, decisions, decisions......

1 hour ago, bandStrider said:

Now to decide whether to just put a metal Shim behind the mounting plate, drill some new holes in the existing foil to move it back, or look for a flat foil. Decisions, decisions, decisions......

Neither of the first two of those are good decisions IMHO.  Shims?  Changes the lever arm and who knows what that will do to the holes?  New hole(s) will change the angle of the foil and who knows what that will do to performance?

Flat foils are really, really hard to find so good luck on that, but it is the way I would go.

Shouldn't have said "shim," more like a spacer. I machined it based on the backing plate in the boat so shouldn't change the stress loads any. I can also machine the existing groove in the foil to move the mounting hole 1 space further from the boat without changing the angle at all so may do that as well. Much easier than finding a flat foil.

20210531_161613.jpg

Don't have to pull the tank. It's a v-drive so no tank back there. All of the bolt heads are easily accessible with a wrench and they don't turn much anyway. Only need to have my son hold the wrench on the inside while I use a deep socket to take the nut off from the outside, then slide the spacer in and put it all back together. Took the bracket off last night, took about 20 minutes. Will reseal and reinstall the bracket and spacer tonight. Much easier fix than the alternatives.