Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5 Sherwood raw water pump issues

After being the local poster child for OEM M5 impeller longevity, my luck finally ran out at 306 hours. Not being able to leave well enough alone and wondering why the Sherwoods are no longer being used I decided to see why. The biggest and obvious difference is that the older Johnson’s were of a one piece construction.  As you can see in the accompanying photos the Sherwoods have a brass cheese grater cam installed where the Johnsons have the cam feature cast in to the housing.   On the impeller you can plainly see where the teeth dug in to the 15000A impeller when it was water starved. I popped the top of the heat exchanger, but because there was no water flow there was very little blade pieces in there. Not enough to make a difference given the volume of water that travels through there. Better safe than sorry in this case. For future impeller inspection and replacement I plan on removing the whole pump. It is so much easier to service the M5 vice my Monsoon. Anyway, I pulled the cam and shortened, radiused and polished the teeth on the outlet side to try to slow the inevitable wear. Guess I will see on the new one. 

61ED8606-1131-4951-A455-C16268342CDC.jpeg

88482DC0-FBA6-4384-923C-A96E3D654E50.jpeg

32534175-1609-4986-B1B3-66E440368CA7.jpeg

3BCF1514-DA7D-43DB-B056-1A30D9C63716.jpeg

19BEE657-5C8E-4C4C-84BB-E81AF3AB56A4.jpeg

Edited by wdr
Sp

There is a service bulletin to have the impeller replaced and replace the water pimp if the brass tabs are sticking out and chewing up the impeller

On 5/31/2021 at 2:46 PM, UWSkier said:

Wow. That's a really dumb design... 

That was the same style pump as a 80's supra I had years ago. It would eat impellers randomly also. 

14 hours ago, Joseph2222 said:

There is a service bulletin to have the impeller replaced and replace the water pimp if the brass tabs are sticking out and chewing up the impeller

a-cool-pimp-and-a-cool-water-park-backgr

Edited by UWSkier
  • Haha 2