Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Overheat

Cant believe this happened after owning boats for years. Engine ran for 5 minutes with no impeller or sealed plate. No water to block or transmission. Thought it was in but was wide opem. Got heat alarm and shut down boat and discovered and installed impeller gasket and plate cover. Engine still starts but all oil pressure gone oil alarm and oil is watery. I am heartbroken. What should my best next thing to do and what damage could I have done to the boat? Please help.

3 minutes ago, DannyM said:

Cant believe this happened after owning boats for years. Engine ran for 5 minutes with no impeller or sealed plate. No water to block or transmission. Thought it was in but was wide opem. Got heat alarm and shut down boat and discovered and installed impeller gasket and plate cover. Engine still starts but all oil pressure gone oil alarm and oil is watery. I am heartbroken. What should my best next thing to do and what damage could I have done to the boat? Please help.

If there is water in the oil you either blew the head gasket or cracked the block.

14 minutes ago, DannyM said:

Do you know roughly cost to repair head gasket or heads? How do they test the block usually?

That depends on the mechanic.  You could DIY for the cost of gaskets and milling the heads.  I'd do a valve job while I was at it.  Any auto mechanic should be able to do it if you trust them to store the boat properly. 

You might be able to schedule the work, drop the boat off for them to pull the heads, then take it home again.  Drop it of again the day they are ready to reinstall. 

I would assume the head gaskets went and the block is ok until the heads come off.  Heck, you are lucky if you didn't burn a piston. 

Thanks for helping me out. Might have trouble on one of cylinders as it ran ok except I could hear a drag repeat when firing. Nothing melted no white fumes and no one was hurt thankfully. If heads and a piston ring do you think it should be under $3000?

39 minutes ago, DannyM said:

By a qualified mechanic?

Yes, at this point. Sorry this happened to you. Have any friends who are excellent boat mechanics? Maybe not qualified, but experienced? 

Steve B.

I thought I did but he kind of got me in this trouble. He didn't spot that the impeller was not installed. I rechecked the oil and it is very clean and clear and at the upper line not white and milky. So I may misspoke on water being in there. No water leaking in the hull.

2 minutes ago, DannyM said:

I thought I did but he kind of got me in this trouble. He didn't spot that the impeller was not installed. I rechecked the oil and it is very clean and clear and at the upper line not white and milky. So I may misspoke on water being in there. No water leaking in the hull.

Then stick an impeller in it and see what happens.  I'd drop it in at the launch, leave it connected to trailer and see how it works.

Hard to diagnose, but it is good news you dont have milky oil. It's gonna take multiple steps to determine any damage done. Was it known to be running fine before this?

Steve B.