Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stiff steering while wake surfing Axis

Well not having owned this boat long at all I did notice while pulling people wakesurfing the hydraulic steering got very stiff when trying to turn. As soon as I backed off the throttle it went back to being very easy. 
I did have all the ballast tanks plus plug and plays filled. And the wedge down, plus surf gate. 
is this normal? Is there any sort or kind of maintenance that is required for the steering? I have 400 hours on a 2015 A24 

thanks 

normal.  You are very very unlikely to have hydraulic steering unless this was specially spec'd as a salt boat (or your dealer picked a very weird option).

Copy that. Was just going off what the originally owner told me. Lol

ok so it’s manual with the cable.  Thank you guys. Appreciate the info! 

It is probably worth inspecting your running gear.  The rudder wants a shot of grease (or two, max) every once in a while, and stiff steering at speed can be a symptom of a bent rudder. 

With today’s ballasts and wake diversions (surfgate), when surfing, have caused the norms of boat driving to be changed. The weight alone we are carrying can make these boats act differently than what most people have faced. Wake diversions can cause a boat to be almost unturnable at these slow speeds. The new normal. 

Our 2019 A22 had an adjustment tab on the rudder. That may help the pulling when the surfgate is deployed. 
Our New A24 doesn’t pull in the slightest. Not sure if it is the larger rudder or hydraulic steering, but it’s a pleasure to drive. 

Edited by Dsalyers