Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Gas for 2004 wakesetter

Susansetter

I have a 2004 wakesetter 23LSV and I prefer to get my gas off the water due to price.

gas at the marina pump is over $5 per gallon. Exxon up the street is $3.50 for 93 untra

do I have to use the 93? Could I get away with 89 or even 87?

I use the “drop n fill” system and highly recommend it!

thanks for your opinions 

I run only non-ethanol in all of my rigs and equipment, usually 91.  Any of the fuels that you list will work fine and you probalby won't notice a difference.  If you are going through fuel reguarly, then ethanol is fine, so long as it doesn't sit for weeks at a time.  And flush the ethanol out before you store it.

Just now, kylesullens said:

I run only non-ethanol in all of my rigs and equipment, usually 91.  Any of the fuels that you list will work fine and you probalby won't notice a difference.  If you are going through fuel reguarly, then ethanol is fine, so long as it doesn't sit for weeks at a time.  And flush the ethanol out before you store it.

Jeebus, I store over 100 gallons of e10 for 6 months at a time with no issues in boats, cars, snowmobiles, motorcycles and power equipment.  It does not magically degrade in weeks or months.  It has been a fact of life here for more than 30 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Carb?

Nope, efi. Consistent vapor lock with ethanol, none without. On similar outside hot temperatures and load. 

87 E-10, since new. No problems ever. 800 hrs. Even used 87 MTBE-15 for a few years in the Bu, 26 in my Winner. No problems there either.

Edited by electricjohn
22 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Nope, efi. Consistent vapor lock with ethanol, none without. On similar outside hot temperatures and load. 

We had a old Moomba DD that did that all the time on hot days. Every boat we have had after that has had modifications to the fuel system to keep that from happening. I only use 91 or higher non ethanol.  Might be wasting my time, but it’s piece of mind, also I never let my boat sit for longer than a couple days with a fuel tank that is not full. 

Also if you are storing ethanol gas for a period of time, like greater than 3 months, it’s not a bad idea to put some stabilizer in it to prevent any potential issues, hell I do this with ethanol free gas, especially over the winter.

Paid too much money for my boat to not spend a couple extra bucks to ward off any potential issues. 

Love the drop and fill. Great product. 

Edited by Dsalyers
  • Thanks 1

So it sounds like the 87,89 or 93 is not as important as the “ethanol” content?

so as long as it is ethanol free, I’m good?

no issues with storing gas in my boat- we through 3-4 a week minimum. This boat doesn’t sit long enough for storage issues.

the gentleman I bought it from was very serious when he said to only run gas from a marina pump as they carry the proper gas or to get the 93 if I buy it inland. 

does 93 have ethanol in it?

is non ethanol gas hard to find?

sux being a noob but I appreciate the help. Don’t want to deal with vapor lock or any avoidable issues if I can help it

• Like 2

Regardless of octane, it can have ethanol. Download the app “real gas”, it will show gas stations in your area with ethanol free gas. I try and run 91, but can’t tell a difference with 87 when I’m in a pinch.  

• Thanks 1

These are GM engines.  They have been designed and tested to run on E10 for over 30 years.  There is lots of data to back that up.

Trust the internet.  It has been designed to run on mythology since the inmates were allowed to run the asylum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, dlb said:

These are GM engines.  They have been designed and tested to run on E10 for over 30 years.  There is lots of data to back that up.

Trust the internet.  It has been designed to run on mythology since the inmates were allowed to run the asylum.

Yup.  My in-laws 04 lxi runs fine on e10, although I will say that it has a Merc black scorpion, so it does have a fuel cooler that indmar engines of the same timeframe do not.

• Thanks 1

If you need that last bit of power, gasoline does have more stored energy than ethanol does. 

Note that octane doesn’t add power, it allows more spark advance.  If your engine can advance the spark as much as it needs for the conditions (generally based on RPM), more octane won't help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not a mechanic, and semi competent with tools, but I can report in that my 99 sslxi runs better and the exhaust sells better on pure gas.  Old jeep is probably right that it will run ok on corn gas, but I’m convinced that it is much happier on pure gas.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Thanks 1

someone had a post before that premium when not called for will create extra heat.  i read my manual finally and it said run 89, i quit using premium non ethanol snd went to 89 snd sometimes 87 for cost reasons, when i lift side cushion to get to ice chest there is far less heat billowing out of that area from motor after the change, if your motor does not call for premium dont use it.  the dealer service manager ssid if i used 87 after a couple tanks my motor would simply detune to run it

i totally agree with the reasoning and data that e10 is ok.  in 2015 i broke my femur and was laid up from the boat for 9 months,  probably   running non ethanol for just such a reason that most likely not occur.  on the other hand im not much of a mechanic snd would like to avoid problems with the boat im keeping for 20+ more years if not 30

Edited by granddaddy55
On 5/28/2021 at 8:52 PM, oldjeep said:

Jeebus, I store over 100 gallons of e10 for 6 months at a time with no issues in boats, cars, snowmobiles, motorcycles and power equipment.  It does not magically degrade in weeks or months.  It has been a fact of life here for more than 30 years.

I'm happy for you that your experience has been better than mine.  I have a collection of vintage vehicles and have had the ethanol fuel turn bad in them several times over the years.  Same with the smaller gas engines.

Some of the cars will sit for over a year without being moved.  If they  have clear gas in them, never a problem.  So, in my experience, the ethanol is a liability in anything other than a daily driver.

I can Only speak from my experience with an older boat that is naturally asperated. ( It has a Carb) I don't have a fancy on board computer that readjust the timing to offset things like altitude and bad gas.

For the last few years I been Boating at a lake that is at 5000 feet.  Yes I have lost some ponies because of this. What I have found is when I use " Pure gas " the engine runs allot better and top end is slightly increased. 

No hesitation with a hole shot either. I would have to dyno it to prove all this but I know my Boat. 

Granted its more expensive (especially right now), "You can't put a price on a good time".  If I could not afford it, I would just stay home. 

If I'm at a lower elevation I just use 89 octane with a fuel stab. 

I am more concerned about water in the fuel from a marina Gas pump with 10% ethanol or phase separation when stored for the winter.

I realize this does not apply to 95% of the owners on this site but for the old boats it is relevant.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:03 PM, minnmarker said:

89 non ethanol.   $2.80 last month in bulk in my neck of the woods. 

I think I've heard some pings with 87.   Not sure .

i find the price on 89 non ethanol at my favorite low price station  is very competitive to 89 ethanol at many others