Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Resurrecting my 89 Sunsetter Euro F3 - Upholstery Recommendations please!? Looking for interest in Dash storage fabrication too.

bulicious89

HI all, I'm new to this site / forum.  I've always been in love with my boat, nice to see that others feel the same.  I have pulled my boat out of the pasture.  It was in storage for over a decade and and just needs some TLC.  It's in very decent shape and I'm only seeing a few obvious points of concern right now, most of that is the trailer. 

I have tried writing to the company just as a point of departure and frankly they have shown zero interest in helping with an older boat,  on any level.  The lack of interest in the almost robotic reply in the email was very disappointing.  I would of thought they'd be kind of proud that someone wants to pour some money into one of the old girls and get her back on the water.  They could really care less and it's sad.

Anyways, off my soap box.  Per the boat, I'm wondering if anyone has an upholstery referral in southern California?  I'm looking to work on all seating and possibly the floors. 

This boat came from the Merced factory and I've heard of a guy up there who originally worked for Malibu.  If I can find a good recommendation closer to me it would be helpful. 

Another item is the dash storage on the passenger side.  If anyone has this old of a Malibu you'll recall that the design for the dash storage on the passenger side is probably one of last things that were thought of when they designed the boat.  Mine has to be replaced.  I'm positive they have no parts for this anymore.   Has anyone had any luck retrofitting an aftermarket one? 

If I can't find an aftermarket one I may create my own.  If anyone else is interested in replacing that dash I am getting motivated to re-design and have one produced through 3D printing to fit in the same cut out.  Fabricating one makes it cost prohibitive for most people but the cost would come down  with quantity orders and that's why I'm asking.  I am proficient in design, preparing files for fabrication and can do that part, I know industrial designers who can do the fabrication.  If I get enough interest from this post I will price it and see who's on board.   

Thanks again, happy to be here.

Gary