Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M6 high oil pressure

Recently changed oil in 2020 25lsv M6. Oil pressure is now reading 60 psi at idle and 80 on revs. About to leave town for memorial weekend. Boat has not thrown codes on fake a lake in the driveway. Should I be concerned with such high pressure? Oil level is accurate and used Malibu 5/30 oil and wix filter. Thanks guys. Need answers quick please 🙌🏼🙌🏼

Thats the problem is I don’t recall the oil psi before. Boat is new to me. Came from a 2013 350ss which never read high like this

Just now, 200523lsv said:

Thats the problem is I don’t recall the oil psi before. Boat is new to me. Came from a 2013 350ss which never read high like this

Then your engine was likely wore out ;)  My 2012 350SS puts out that kind of pressure.

Don't worry - go boating

My '06 23LSV jumped to about that level of oil pressure last summer.  Boat ran fine and performed exactly as it did when the pressure was lower (around 50), but I was concerned as well.  Everything I read and everyone I spoke to about it said that high oil pressure is almost never a problem - low oil pressure is what you would have to worry about.  Took it to Powell for a week after that, and probably ran about 50 hours on it since.  No problems at all.  For what that is worth.....

From reading you're post it sounds like you are running it in the driveway on a fake lake.  If the engine water temp is not up to normal (165) then 80 would not worry me.  IF the engine was at 165 then something would be wrong.  Wrong could mean bad sender which would not keep you from going on the lake.  Odd case would be something obstructing the flow (trash in oil passage) resulting in higher oil pressure and lower flow = poor lubrication, likely engine damage.  Never heard of a bad filter that would not pass oil, guess it could happen (did the filter have a plastic film to keep dirt out that got left on?).  99% chance when your engine and oil are warm pressure will drop.  Our 2021 M6 runs 58-60 pounds surfing.  

One more thought.  It is much more likely that if this is a hot oil reading that the reading is wrong not that you have an obstruction and so poor oil flow.  At that point to be sure you would normally use a mechanical gauge to verify. 

Edited by Surf4FamFun
added a little more
  • 2 years later...
On 5/28/2021 at 10:37 AM, 200523lsv said:

Recently changed oil in 2020 25lsv M6. Oil pressure is now reading 60 psi at idle and 80 on revs. About to leave town for memorial weekend. Boat has not thrown codes on fake a lake in the driveway. Should I be concerned with such high pressure? Oil level is accurate and used Malibu 5/30 oil and wix filter. Thanks guys. Need answers quick please 🙌🏼🙌🏼

Did your oil pressure come down after awhile? I have 2019 22LSV M6 as well and just did oil change with Malibu oil 5/30 and wix filter.  Oil pressure right now is 70-77 PSI  when revs (2500-3500 rpm's) at 164F?  Thanks, I'm kinda concerned as well since pressure before was round 64-68 psi. 

I have also noticed a jump in oil pressure “M6di” but mine was right after the first break in oil change. When I first started it up and cold it will idle at 60 psi and running it will go up to 80 to 85psi on the guage.  After it’s fully warmed up it will idle at 45 and running be at 65ish.   I emaled Malibu and my dealer and they said if you not setting an alarm or code for high oil pressure @105 psi You are fine.
I use mobile 1  5w30  and a HENGST 1001-H oil filter.