Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE fresh air exhaust 2004 Wakesetter 23lsv

Susansetter

Anyone have any experience with an FAE on a Wakesetter with the manual wedge?

I just had one installed and I can’t get the wedge down now. It bumps into the FAE.

I love the way the FAE cuts down on the sound and eliminates the CO2 but man I need my Wedge.

2 hours ago, Susansetter said:

Anyone have any experience with an FAE on a Wakesetter with the manual wedge?

I just had one installed and I can’t get the wedge down now. It bumps into the FAE.

I love the way the FAE cuts down on the sound and eliminates the CO2 but man I need my Wedge.

The installer didn't check this first, or didn't bother to mention it?  Sheesh.

Sorry I'm no help, but sheesh!

The installed contacted me and said FAE sent the wrong bracket- they talked to FAE and FAE offered to ship the correct bracket but the installer wanted to get the boat back to me sooner so they made the decision to “rig it”.

when I went to pick it up, I could drop the wedge past the FAE while it was on the trailer. It was tight and not ideal but I was ready to go about my business so I said I’ll get it on the water and check back.

this weekend with it in the water- I could not get the wedge to clear the dang FAE.

Im going to go back to the installer and have them reach out to FAE and get them to make it right.

on a side note- I’m a big fan of what the FAE brings to the table but on the Malibu’s with the manual Wedge- it is a bit of a pain

22 minutes ago, Susansetter said:

I’m a big fan of what the FAE brings to the table but on the Malibu’s with the manual Wedge- it is a bit of a pain

FAE is pretty much a "rig" in the first place.  A better solution would vacate and fill the original dual exhaust holes and make the exhaust port part of the wedge bracket.  Everything would be so much smaller and more elegant that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just installed a floating wedge and fae on my 99 vlx, it is close and we will see how it is once i get it on the water

I have a 2004 Wakesetter VLX and looking to install a FAE later this summer.  Curious if others are having the same issues.....

Thanks

1 hour ago, Susansetter said:

The installed contacted me and said FAE sent the wrong bracket- they talked to FAE and FAE offered to ship the correct bracket but the installer wanted to get the boat back to me sooner so they made the decision to “rig it”.

when I went to pick it up, I could drop the wedge past the FAE while it was on the trailer. It was tight and not ideal but I was ready to go about my business so I said I’ll get it on the water and check back.

this weekend with it in the water- I could not get the wedge to clear the dang FAE.

Im going to go back to the installer and have them reach out to FAE and get them to make it right.

on a side note- I’m a big fan of what the FAE brings to the table but on the Malibu’s with the manual Wedge- it is a bit of a pain

Sometimes I have to give a little push the FAE down pipe to push it forward just a bit to raise the Wedge after we have been riding for a while.  All the prop thrust pushes it back just a bit and causes the issue.  I have tightened the hose clamps and repositioned a little but sometimes the wedge still hits it.  Usually I can hold the swim platform while I am in the water and take my foot and push just a little.  

25 minutes ago, NClakelife said:

I have a 2004 Wakesetter VLX and looking to install a FAE later this summer.  Curious if others are having the same issues.....

Thanks

I have an 04 LSV (I did add the Stainless Steel Floating Wedge)  Love the FAE   

• Thanks 1

Bkkjeep- I’m going to try that today! It doesn’t seem to scrape too much so nothing to lose buy giving it a “little extra push”!

@Susansetter I've got this exact setup - 2004 23LSV with the manual wedge and FAE.  Clearance is fine on mine (perhaps a different bracket?) and I love the setup.  Larry at FAE is great to work with and can help ensure you get it setup correctly.  

FAE Finish Product.jpg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mhicks said:

@Susansetter I've got this exact setup - 2004 23LSV with the manual wedge and FAE.  Clearance is fine on mine (perhaps a different bracket?) and I love the setup.  Larry at FAE is great to work with and can help ensure you get it setup correctly.  

FAE Finish Product.jpg

Just ordered mine yesterday. How was the install? Looks pretty straight forward.

55 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

Just ordered mine yesterday. How was the install? Looks pretty straight forward.

Install took 3-4 hours for me (not super mechanical), but also wasn't in a hurry.  Super happy with it.  Only drawback is unable to easily access the wedge through the door in the swim platform.  But I was getting in the water anyway, right?  

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, mhicks said:

Install took 3-4 hours for me (not super mechanical), but also wasn't in a hurry.  Super happy with it.  Only drawback is unable to easily access the wedge through the door in the swim platform.  But I was getting in the water anyway, right?  

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this and it’s a little concerning but not the end of the world. Is it impossible to do?

Depends on the positioning of your pass through door (different position on different swim platforms).  There is some slight adjustability on the FAE, but I would say it makes adjustments through the door significantly more difficult.  Avoid keeping your hopes up and you won't be disappointed.

Edited by mhicks
formulaben

For the OP and anyone else who may be installing, please remember to tighten the hose clamps often for the first few weeks of operation, and then for each summer recommission.  The rubber does take a set and will loosen over time.  Someone here lost their FAE due to loose hose clamps.

Also, I'd consider T-bolt hose clamps like pictured below (get appropriate size) as they are far stronger.  You can find them cheap on eBay or Amazon.

th?id=OIP.y5tIXXBeQ0PhYeCXMezNUQHaHa%26p

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a FAE last year on my boat and have been noticing a hesitation on take off, Plus I had lost a few MPH with it on. I took it off the other day and the hesitation went away and I got my speed back. It was quieter tho.