Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New owner of 1988 Skier!

That88skier

Hey Crew,

New to the forum so apologies for the topics that have already been touched on in precious threads.

I just picked up my 88 skier and am embarking on a few repairs and fixes and could use some guidance and direction...

I’m looking for:

- as close to original rub rail for the entire perimeter, some sections are cracked and the point of the bow and a rear corner are significantly cracked or missing...

- original style bilge vents - what other replacements have been used? Plastic or stainless.

- under the dash/to the left foot of the driver, is a wood-fibreglass “column” that looks like the main support... historically speaking, does that typically separate from the upper dash “area”? We had the boat out for our first run and heard some significant creaking on larger waves...

thanks crew for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

truly appreciated!

Cool, congrats on the new boat. I can help with the rub rail, assuming the boat is ~21 feet. I was able to get a new rail from my malibu dealer for my boat using part numbers Base PN: 5050101 Insert PN: 5050111. Cost was about $500 US a couple years ago. 

Can't really help with the other questions. Post some pics of the new addition.

martinarcher

I've been looking for the rear vent covers for a while.  I had a lead on some CNC'ed Malibu "M" ones for a while and they didn't pan out.  If you come up with something let us know!

Thanks for the tip, I had actually looked at buying a cnc and water jet company last year.... funny I did’ t think of that - I’ll look into them - thank you.

5 hours ago, DWhynot said:

West Marine sells these in black or white.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--louvered-3-hose-vent-black--280829?recordNum=16

These worked great on my '87 Skier (you'll need 4 to match).  You'll also need to drill 4 new holes for each, but the old 2 holes will be covered.

Thanks for the link! How do they look installed? Are they a higher profile than the original ones?