Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake shaper recommendation 04sslxi

vl782

Get a couple fatsacs and a shaper. They will take up minimal space/weight in the boat. Id start with 2 400s on either side of the engine and go from there depending on how serious you want to get.

Generally the more weight in the rear the taller the wave will be, add weight to the bow to lengthen it out. Shaper goes on opposite of surf side as low and far back as possible.

Edited by 06malibu

I had a ‘00 SSLxi with a stepped transom. The only way to get it to surf is to cut down the swim platform. Because the transom is ~12” forward it causes the wake path to flow directly into the platform.

I tried DIY surf gate and NSS style gates and the Mission shaper. I configured up to 3000# of fatsac in trunk (you need to reinforce), ski locker, bow, behind and either side of the motorbox. I was never able to get the wake to not be washed out by the swim platform. @rugger cut his down and was able to get it to surf. (do a search and if you can’t find it let me know) 

I wasn’t willing to cut mine down, so I moved on and just skied!

1 hour ago, braindamage said:

I had a ‘00 SSLxi with a stepped transom. The only way to get it to surf is to cut down the swim platform. Because the transom is ~12” forward it causes the wake path to flow directly into the platform.

I tried DIY surf gate and NSS style gates and the Mission shaper. I configured up to 3000# of fatsac in trunk (you need to reinforce), ski locker, bow, behind and either side of the motorbox. I was never able to get the wake to not be washed out by the swim platform. @rugger cut his down and was able to get it to surf. (do a search and if you can’t find it let me know) 

I wasn’t willing to cut mine down, so I moved on and just skied!

Did you ever try just removing the platform to see if you could get a decent wave?  Some of us could still get in the boat that way, but most would need a ladder over the side.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

Did you ever try just removing the platform to see if you could get a decent wave?  Some of us could still get in the boat that way, but most would need a ladder over the side.

I wasn't willing to live without the platform, even if it was just for when I'm surfing.  I also wasn't willing to cut it down.  I had lots of videos that showed the issue and there were several people on themalibucrew who validated it.  Attached is the link to his DIY surfgate and his cut-down platform.  You can see that he created an extension to the transom also to accommodate for the issue. He got it pretty dialed in.  I don't think he's on the site anymore.

Edited by braindamage