Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf gate frustrations

I have a 2016 Axis A20.  The warranty just ran out in January of this year.  I took the boat out recently and had a great day surfing with no problems.  I got home and put it in service mode so I could remove the swim platform and the starboard side surf gate wouldn’t open.  I tried recalibration, disconnecting the battery, etc.  Nothing opens it.  To add to my frustrations, the dealers can’t even look at it until mid July.  They tell me to check the relay but I can’t find it anywhere.  They don’t even seem to know exactly where it is.  They say I might need a new actuator which is over a thousand dollars.  To make matters worse, there’s not even a warranty that comes with these new actuators.  Buyer beware!!!  I have loved my boat up to this point but this is absolutely sickening.  Any ideas or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.  :( 

58 minutes ago, CEO said:

I have a 2016 Axis A20.  The warranty just ran out in January of this year.  I took the boat out recently and had a great day surfing with no problems.  I got home and put it in service mode so I could remove the swim platform and the starboard side surf gate wouldn’t open.  I tried recalibration, disconnecting the battery, etc.  Nothing opens it.  To add to my frustrations, the dealers can’t even look at it until mid July.  They tell me to check the relay but I can’t find it anywhere.  They don’t even seem to know exactly where it is.  They say I might need a new actuator which is over a thousand dollars.  To make matters worse, there’s not even a warranty that comes with these new actuators.  Buyer beware!!!  I have loved my boat up to this point but this is absolutely sickening.  Any ideas or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.  :( 

If you look in the back of the engine compartment the surf gate wires are labeled port and starboard (atleast on my 2020 LSV) If you switch the wires and it works this will tell that its the relay or something else and not the actuator.

• Like 2
martinarcher
5 hours ago, CEO said:

Is that boat running the Lenco actuators?

There is another thread that discusses the wiring. It seems more like it's a menu issue vs. an actuator/relay issue. One test you can run to determine if the actuator is working is to manually apply 12vdc to the actuator. Polarity changes will switch between the actuator open or closed.

Some early 2016 model Axis boats had inline 40 amp ATC fuses in a rubber fuse holder going to each surf gate actuator from the relay 4 pack on the transom in the port engine compartment.  I would check those first.  Later 2016 models had the fuses replaced with breakers that could be reset.

Tapping on the relay pack while running the surf gate service can sometimes make a sticky relay work temporarily.  If there is a problem with the actuator reed switch, or the small wires going to it, you may also experience a surf gate failure.  I have seen several threads on this site discussing it.

Edited by csleaver