Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub install on 2008 23LSV

Eddy

A 12" woofer under the helm in a custom sealed enclosure is a very straight forward project. A 12" in a larger ported enclosure is more involved. Due to being larger, the enclosure may end up with some irregular sides, v's a basic square or rectangle sealed, but still doable. I like a direct radiating woofer, but you can also get good results from a side firing loading off the hull. 

Edited by MLA
14 minutes ago, MLA said:

A 12" woofer in a custom sealed enclosure is a very straight forward project. A 12" in a larger ported enclosure is more involved. Due to being larger, the enclosure may end up with some irregular sides, v's a basic square or rectangle sealed, but still doable. I like a direct radiating woofer, but you can also get good results from a side firing loading off the hull. 

Best location to but the woofer?

Opinions will vary, but I kept mine in the factory location when I built my custom box to replace the failed and inadequate factory box on my 2010. My wife needs “she shed” storage room when she loads for the day so the observers compartment was out of the question for me anyway! The final dimensions will be about the same for your 08 as it was for my 10 I imagine. Using my factory RF sub, I spec’d the correct volume for the sub from the RF web site. The factory box was 1/2 the correct volume according to the RF chart. I built a cardboard mock up to that spec, then started cutting and taping back on the cut off sections to keep the volume and achieve the shape I needed for the box to fit under the helm. Marine grade Birch plywood, glued, screwed, silicone sealed internally and generous coats of polyurethane and done. I used HDPE scrap from the old sub box to make a platform to keep it off the deck and dry for just in case. I also bought a quality wiring terminal box from the local stereo shop to ensure a good seal and noise free connection. 

4 hours ago, wdr said:

Opinions will vary, but I kept mine in the factory location when I built my custom box to replace the failed and inadequate factory box on my 2010. My wife needs “she shed” storage room when she loads for the day so the observers compartment was out of the question for me anyway! The final dimensions will be about the same for your 08 as it was for my 10 I imagine. Using my factory RF sub, I spec’d the correct volume for the sub from the RF web site. The factory box was 1/2 the correct volume according to the RF chart. I built a cardboard mock up to that spec, then started cutting and taping back on the cut off sections to keep the volume and achieve the shape I needed for the box to fit under the helm. Marine grade Birch plywood, glued, screwed, silicone sealed internally and generous coats of polyurethane and done. I used HDPE scrap from the old sub box to make a platform to keep it off the deck and dry for just in case. I also bought a quality wiring terminal box from the local stereo shop to ensure a good seal and noise free connection. 

Any photos where you put it mine didn’t have factory one with it I was thinking under the driver side dash just not sure if that would look good or not. 

As luck would have it my in progress and finished box pictures got lost in phone migrations. Here is the finished product installed with surprisingly, Home Depot acquired carpet. It was an amazing match color wise. 420.thumb.png.fe433ed330ce2503ffbf376b08b25299.png

2 hours ago, wdr said:

As luck would have it my in progress and finished box pictures got lost in phone migrations. Here is the finished product installed with surprisingly, Home Depot acquired carpet. It was an amazing match color wise. 420.thumb.png.fe433ed330ce2503ffbf376b08b25299.png

Thank you much helpful how do you like that wetsound 4 zone controller I have same one and it’s temperamental on when it wants to connect via Bluetooth 

That was on my 2010, but I loved it. Not a single problem with it and it was very helpful for getting great sound from the system. I also had the SYN 4 amp that I ran on a set of Rev-10s to fill it all out. I only ever ran it off of the 3.5mm cable on my 2010. And like on my 2019, the BT signal is fickle and sucks at best. 

Edited by wdr
48 minutes ago, wdr said:

That was on my 2010, but I loved it. Not a single problem with it and it was very helpful for getting great sound from the system. I also had the SYN 4 amp that I ran on a set of Rev-10s to fill it all out. I only ever ran it off of the 3.5mm cable on my 2010. And like on my 2019, the BT signal is fickle and sucks at best. 

Hmm might need to just use the aux port then