Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Response LX Wedge compatible?

Chuck72

Hi All,

I am new to the Malibu world with a 1998 Response LX.  It came with a wake board tower but no wedge.  I was thinking about adding a wedge, but upon inquiry with Tommy's here in Central Florida they told me it wasn't compatible.  The thinks I read here say it should work...  Does anyone have any additional knowledge of this issue?

Update: I contacted Bakes Marine and told them I had a 1998 response LX and needed the wedge.... They said no problem they would direct ship it from the factory.  Now I am really confused.  Has anyone installed the wedge on a 1998 or older Response LX?

Thanks,

Chuck

Edited by Chuck72

If you search this site you will find posts on retrofitted wedges.  You could then reach out to members who have done it to get some feedback.  Another way to determine compatibility is look at the various owners manuals and you will find which years included a wedge option for the RLX.  The key is transom wall thickness and proper installation of the wedge bracket to ensure structural integrity.  I believe @Michigan boarder has done it to an older SV23 hull & he can provide some good info.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

My '94 came with the wedge installed already, so I can't provide any installation details.  But I can tell you that your transom will certainly support it, assuming that it is at least as thick as mine.  I think my wedge has been on the boat since 2002 and has seen hundreds of hours of use.  This pic is when I cut out my exhaust to install 3.5" STE's.  

769541258_Transomthickness.thumb.JPG.44e03eb74ba2fa6a9b5f080e3880539a.JPG

19 hours ago, Woodski said:

If you search this site you will find posts on retrofitted wedges.  You could then reach out to members who have done it to get some feedback.  Another way to determine compatibility is look at the various owners manuals and you will find which years included a wedge option for the RLX.  The key is transom wall thickness and proper installation of the wedge bracket to ensure structural integrity.  I believe @Michigan boarder has done it to an older SV23 hull & he can provide some good info.  Hope this helps.

Thank you very much!  I was getting 2 very different stories from 2 different "experts".

18 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Malibu started putting them on 1998 boats.  See this thread for some history. 

This is very helpful.  Thank you!!!

18 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

My '94 came with the wedge installed already, so I can't provide any installation details.  But I can tell you that your transom will certainly support it, assuming that it is at least as thick as mine.  I think my wedge has been on the boat since 2002 and has seen hundreds of hours of use.  This pic is when I cut out my exhaust to install 3.5" STE's.  

769541258_Transomthickness.thumb.JPG.44e03eb74ba2fa6a9b5f080e3880539a.JPG

Perfect!  I was fairly sure the local Malibu Dealership was confused.  Oddly enough they said they wouldn't be able to order the piece for me, but if I ordered it they would install it.  Do you know a good source for ordering the bracket and wedge? 

Either way... Thank you very much for your help!   

3 hours ago, Chuck72 said:

Perfect!  I was fairly sure the local Malibu Dealership was confused.  Oddly enough they said they wouldn't be able to order the piece for me, but if I ordered it they would install it.  Do you know a good source for ordering the bracket and wedge? 

Either way... Thank you very much for your help!   

It's a very simple installation, I would not hire that out.  While you have your gas tank out scrub the carpet back there and clean up the fiberglass, likely coated with some blow-by soot.  I would do what @Woodski has suggested to source it.

And a wedge definitely makes a much better wake, it's worth it.

5 hours ago, Woodski said:

A couple of sources that carry pre-owned items:  Great Lakes Skipper, Ski it Again.  Another option, the classifieds on this site.

Sounds good.  I noticed someone here has a bracket... I don't see a wedge but I will keep looking.

2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

It's a very simple installation, I would not hire that out.  While you have your gas tank out scrub the carpet back there and clean up the fiberglass, likely coated with some blow-by soot.  I would do what @Woodski has suggested to source it.

And a wedge definitely makes a much better wake, it's worth it.

So I have done stuff with boats and fiberglass... but I am nervous about drilling into the transom below the waterline for some reason...  That being said the dealer wants $950 to install.  Know anyone in the Orlando, FL area? 

3 minutes ago, Chuck72 said:

So I have done stuff with boats and fiberglass... but I am nervous about drilling into the transom below the waterline for some reason...  That being said the dealer wants $950 to install.  Know anyone in the Orlando, FL area? 

Calling @RTS

5 hours ago, Chuck72 said:

Use 3M 5200 Silicone around each hole on the inside and outside of the hull.  Other than that, it's just a few holes.

If you want to do a bit better job, knock all of the high points down on the inside where the fender washers or backing plate will go.  Getting a flat place that will transmit the forces will help keep you from having all of the pressure in a few high places.  You could also use a Cabosil paste and assemble it wet, then tighten everything after it hardens.

• Like 2

Once you get the wedge and plate just update this thread and we'll walk you thru the process, with pics and everything.  This forum has been amazing helping me thru the years with lots of small projects like this one.

I think the hardest part will be finding the Wedge itself.  They seem to be NLA anywhere.  Occasionally one can find the V-shaped Wedge, but that is not for the OP's boat.

44 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I think the hardest part will be finding the Wedge itself.  They seem to be NLA anywhere.  Occasionally one can find the V-shaped Wedge, but that is not for the OP's boat.

I was going off of this, looks like Bakes can hook him up.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, Chuck72 said:

I contacted Bakes Marine and told them I had a 1998 response LX and needed the wedge.... They said no problem they would direct ship it from the factory.  Now I am really confused.  Has anyone installed the wedge on a 1998 or older Response LX?

Did you order it?

@Chuck72 - once you have drilled the first hole, the rest are easy:-)  As noted, the most work is actually pulling the hardware out of the transom area, fuel tank removal.  As noted, a good time to clean up that area and also a great time to replace any old fuel / vent lines & verify anti siphon valve is not corroded.  Also, once doing that with the tank out, I suggest you check and service the rudder (greasing, bushing replace if needed, etc.).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Woodski said:

As noted, a good time to clean up that area and also a great time to replace any old fuel / vent lines & verify anti siphon valve is not corroded.  Also, once doing that with the tank out, I suggest you check and service the rudder (greasing, bushing replace if needed, etc.).

This is excellent advice.  I would add replacing the exhaust hoses along with all fuel lines.

Also, regarding the installation, I recall a discussion here in the past about the bracket and backing plate placement, wherein many of the wedges were not exactly centered.  So much that it seemed the just eyeballed the template, drilled the holes and put it together.  Point is @Chuck72 don't sweat it too much, it's not a perfect fit and a fractions of an inch in any direction will not affect the performance.  You may even find that your exhaust ports are not perfect, or the drain hole, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else ever checked their wedge while in the up position to see if it is hitting the water.  I was running my 2005 Response LXI the other day with the platform off and noticed water spraying up by the transom. The wedge was still just barely touching the water while running skiing speeds. I also noticed that on takeoff they is a lot of water that hits the wedge until the boat get on plane. I took my wedge off to see what difference it makes the the hole shot is much better now and my top end speed is at 48.4 MPH the fastest the boat has ever gone. After owning the boat for 16 years the new things you figure out!  

The wedge on my friends LXI catches water when turning.  Going straight it appears ok, at least from the handle.

If you are not using it, it makes sense to remove it.  Less weight = better wake.

9 hours ago, Woodski said:

The wedge on my friends LXI catches water when turning.  Going straight it appears ok, at least from the handle.

If you are not using it, it makes sense to remove it.  Less weight = better wake.

I took my wedge off my RLXi as soon as I got it home and promptly sold it.