Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 response speed inconsistency (32 to 36 mph)

I need help!!  My 99 Response is having issues holding consistent speed at 34mph. 

I am experiencing rpm bursts as I try to hold speed at 34mph. Seems to stay consistent at 32mph and 36mph bit nothing in between. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Note - I do not have perfect pass.

Edited by tassaly81
1 hour ago, electricjohn said:

Fuel hammer?

I remember that thread as well.  Sounds like fuel hammer

do you have rubber hoses connecting the front and rear of the fuel rails or metal ?

Edited by Bozboat
10 hours ago, justgary said:

The two red arrows point to the fuel hammer fix.  How could a boat go 22 years without this fix?

spacer.png

Hey now... mine seems to be doing just fine with solid lines.

Where does one find said crossover lines? - Asking for a friend. :blush:

I guess I could have Thompsons crimp in a small piece of left over fuel line to my original steel lines?:woot:

I called my dealer and they want $150 for each of those lines.... Inmar P/N is S786129

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Justgary explains fuel hammer from an engineering perspective....

2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I guess I could have Thompsons crimp in a small piece of left over fuel line to my original steel lines?:woot:

I called my dealer and they want $150 for each of those lines.... Inmar P/N is S786129

Yes.  The trick is forming a bead at the ends of the steel pipe to help secure the hose, but you could use a flare tool to gently flare the end.  You could always just go without the bead and overlap the hose about 2" on each end and use two hose clamps on each end.  It isn't under load at all, so it isn't going anywhere. 

But if you don't have the problem, why fix it?

48 minutes ago, justgary said:

But if you don't have the problem, why fix it?

I assume I do have the problem and just haven't noticed since I'm behind the boat at those speeds. We typically don't just cruise around that fast. Will I pay $300 to fix something I don't notice? Nah. But, since I have extra fuel line laying around... may as well for the cost of 4 clamps.